I think my dd is starting to self-ween and I'm concerned she's not getting enough liquid...what's the best thing to give her?

She's 10 months - should I give her water? She is still breastfeeding a lot in the evenings/nights, but during the day she just wants to play...I am fine with her weening so I don't want to force the breast during the day - what should I give her in a sippy?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah,water
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• water or formula. Juice -- no more than 4oz a day. My DS weaned himself around the same time. I never bought formula, I just used the free samples I got and my stored BM. Sometimes they just lose interest. Way to go with BF-ing that long!!! Be proud! It is a real accomplishment! :)
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 3:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Babies under one year do not self wean, but they are in the process of weaning once you introduce solids. The do have nursing strikes, and, they do get distracted and busy during the day and appear to lose interest in nursing. It may be that she is getting plenty of breastmilk during the evening/night feedings. Remember, you want to offer the breast BEFORE solids until she is 12 months. I'd suggest you just offer the breast before solids, offer some water in a cup with her meals and then keep doing what you are doing.
    Many babies are down to only a couple of nursing a day by the time they are 12 months old, and it sounds like your baby is no track to do that. Both my boys were only nursing 2-3 times a day by the time they were 12-14 months old.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• i would give bottled water if you're concerned that tap water might bother her belly. don't start on sugary juices or electrolyte juices. they all have unneccessary sugar. you can also give milk if your dr says it's ok. my son was weaned from bottles at 11 months and on 2% milk. the dr said he should have 2% bc the whole milk could affect his wieght in the long run and that 2% was safe as long as he was eating healthy.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I will second the solids question. If you are giving solids in the daytime, they must follow nursing up till the first birthday.

If she's not constipated (passing hard dry pellets), she's getting enough liquid and water isn't needed.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I agree, always nurse BEFORE any solids until 1 year old. WITH solids meals, go ahead and offer a bit of water in a cup, to get used to a cup. If you ARE weaning, at this age, you WILL have to use formula until 1 yr old.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• You could pump and put that in a sippy. Water. 100% juice watered down 50% or less juice, 50% or more water (max of 4oz of juice total per day). Formula, but if you're bf-ing anyway it'd be easier to pump I'd think. Not cow's milk yet!
    Anonymous

• If you would need to use formula, and you would before a year, it's not really weaning but a nursing strike. The breastfeeding should come first. After a year, you can choose to do solids first.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2010