help....car title

i lost the title to my car. i need to re-register it in my name, it was in my mom's name for a while and she signed the deed over to me a few months ago and i haven't gotten it re-registered. how do i get a new title for the car? also i can't go to my mom for personal reasons

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• Ok let me see if I have this straight. Your mom owned the car. She signed it over to you but you lost the original title without having the title put in your name. Now you need to have it titled in your name but can't find the papers where she signed it over. Is that right?
    Anonymous

• I'm asking bc my dd does title work and I need to call her to see if I can get instructions for you.
    Anonymous

• heres the thing. i was 17. i paid for the car but she refused to let me get it unless i put it in her name, even though i paid for it. 4 years later she signs the title over to me but i didn't re-register the vehicle in my name right away and now i can't find the title that says she signed it over to me
    Anonymous

• Your mom has to go to the DMV and get a duplicate title and then re-sign it over to you so you can get it in your name.. You can try to go to the DMV yourself and get a copy but she will still have to sign it back over to you or anything else would be illegal...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I'd call the DMV and ask them what to do. I know you can get a duplicate title without going in but it would be sent to your mom.
    Anonymous

• You can get a duplicate title online in some states-we can in MD. You are still going to have to have your mother sign it though.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• never mind ladies but thanks for the help. my husband put it away in his file cabinet and forgot it was there, i just found it while tearing up the apartment....i'm going to smack him when he gets home cause he told me he couldn't believe i lost it haha
    Anonymous

• Your MOM is going to have to go to the DMV and get a replacement title. Sign it over to you and then you register the car in your name. You can do it all at one time, that way NO lost titles.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2010