Need Advice

My daughter is 8 months old. She has acid reflux and is on Zantc twice daily. She has been fighting a cold for months now. Has had two ear infections. Here is what I would like any advice on. She does not sleep well at all. She will normaly go to bed between 7:30-9:oo pm. She will wake up every 2 hrs to be feed. She is on hypoallergenic formula. She just doesn't wake up fussy, it is screaming her head off untill she eats. You can hear her stomache growling. She usually eats 5ozs. She eats well during the day. She will have a bottle in the the morning around 5-6 am. She will have ceral with fruit for breakfast. For lunch it is bottle then some fruits and veggies. For dinner it will be a bottle and some fruit veggies and some of what we are having for dinner. I have tried giving her some ceral before bedtime but that doesn't work. She is 20lbs and 28 1/2 in long. Any advice will be welcomed. Thank You.

stepmom2boys407

Asked by stepmom2boys407 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried giving more bottles during the day? From what you describe she only gets a bottle 3 times during the day. I would try adding a bottle between breakfast and lunch, and between lunch and dinner. Maybe she can get more during the day and need less at night.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• She needs to have between 24 and 32 oz of formula a day....is she getting this? That should make up her nutrition, not the foods. They should only be an afterthought.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• We do give her a bottle between lunch and dinner. Sometimes I think I have given her too much because she will spit up a lot.
    stepmom2boys407

Answer by stepmom2boys407 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• she gets about 35 sometimes closer to 40 oz a day.
    stepmom2boys407

Answer by stepmom2boys407 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Not sure, as I never FF, but I might increase each bottle by an ounce or so and see if that helps. And maybe decrease some of the night bottles by a little bit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• relactating?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Has a cold for months!! Wow maybe she is allergic to something! Being alleric to diary could make her seem like she has a cold all the time! Could be why she keeps waking up. Take her to the doctor!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Wow - your baby sounds SO MUCH like my son (ear infections, Zantac, hypo formula, freq feedings...message me if you like and I'll try and help you trouble-shoot!) Things improve greatly as they get older, if that gives you a light at the end of the tunnel. Has she always woken up every 2 hours for the bottle, or did it start with the ear infections/colds? Try decreasing the amount in her middle-of-the-night bottles - maybe by a 1/2 to an ounce with each feeding - she may have become to getting the nighttime snacks, or waking from ear pain and wanting the comfort of a bottle. You could also try giving her water (esp if she has teeth). Good luck mama! I know it is tough!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Is she laying flat when she's sleeping? My dtr has reflux and she's at a 45 degree angle to sleep (its a bit crazy) but the docs at Children's Hospital had me do it. She's in a Tucker Sling. Sometimes babies with reflux wake up with heartburn at night more than others. Even if you don't go as drastic with the angle, try a slight angle to see if it gets better.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 9:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2010