How can I start training my 2 year old to go potty?

I want to start potty training my 2 year old son. But I need some ideas on how to start or what to do. I've potty trained my girls, but with a boy I seem to not know what to do, hahaha. Thanks!

Sarah2116

Asked by Sarah2116 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• What's the difference? Maybe I'm missing something... I've always heard it's easier to have boys sit down at that age, so besides anatomical differences, I'm not sure what you mean. I'd say try what worked with your girls.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 6:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Train him sitting down first. At 2, he's too short for standing up anyway. Make sure to have him poke his penis down into the bowl, or he will pee all over everything, like a fire hose. If he does not point it down, and I mean DOWN, he can pee somehow, between the toilet seat and the rim of the bowl and have it cascade down the front side of the toilet. He will also have to learn to shake off that last stubborn drop of pee, unless you're going to teach him to dab it with TP. Other than that, it should be similar to your girls.

When you do get to standing, a lot of people say put Cheerios in there and have him aim, but we did not do that. Cheerios are food, and we don't eat out of the toilet. Ick.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Well the difference is he is a boy and his sisters are girls. He is my first boy, so had no idea if he needed to learn sitting down to go pee first or to teach him to stand up. Boys are not exactly like girls, cause now I know to make sure his penis is pointing down or my toilet will look like some makeshift urinal. Thank you Pnukey your advice was most helpful.
    Sarah2116

Answer by Sarah2116 at 7:27 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I have potty trained 3 boys. The best advice I can give, is wait til he is 3 or just before...unless he is showing you signs that he is ready. It is very common for boys to take longer. My rule is start when they are 2 and it will take you a year, start near 3 and it will take you a week. I had no trouble with my sons at all...I just waited until they showed me they were ready. Typical men...as long as they think it is their idea, they are good with it lol. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2010