Anybody else have postpartum throiditis?

According to Google Health "Some women develop hypothyroidism after pregancy (often referred to as "postpartum throiditis")." And thanks to recent blood work, I have discovered that I am one of those women.

If you are one of those woman too, how were you treated? What can I expected? Do you have any advice to give me or pitfalls to avoid?

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 3:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Health

• I was diagnosed with PPT after having a TSH of 38 in 2006. I was 5 months post partum. I was put on a pretty high dose of synthroid. Over time that dose was lowered to the point where I no longer needed it. I am over a year off thyroid meds and my labs have been normal. I think you can expect a daily pill and frequent labs. It depends on how post partum you are to come to the conclusion that it is PPT. Often people are diagnosed a few months after having a child.
    Anonymous

• I suspect I have this too. I will be checking back to see if anyone has any advice. Because this sucks!!!
    Anonymous

• I am one of those women. I didn't even know until my daughter was over 6 months old. I was getting depressed because no matter how well I ate and exercised, I was still slowly gaining weight. I had a blood panel done and was told my TSH was low. I am now on a synthetic thyroid hormone for life. It sucks to be on a pill forever, but it's worth it to save your thyroid.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 3:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2010