Has anyone tried the online schooling (like Medical Billing) from home and if so, do they work?

I'm a mother of 4. Ages 15,10,3 and 7 months. My husband has a hectic schedule and sometimes works out of town for a week or 2 at a time, therefore not being able to help me with the kids so I can go back to school. I also don't have any family here. I always wanted to go back to school or do something from home to contribute to the family funds. I've tried an online school program before but after paying $1500 for it and getting a diploma, nobody wanted to hire me for lack of experience - that you don't get from schooling online. Any advice on online schols that work or stay-at-home jobs that work and legit that anyone could tell me about, I would greatly appreciate it.

amy1721

Asked by amy1721 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• I didn't take a medical billing course online but I did take a Medical Billing and Coding course in an actual school. Let me tell you, there is so much to learn, I don't think going at it online will do it justice! You really need someone who has worked in the field for a long time there with you, to answer your questions. All the online ads make it seem like you can work from home immediately but the truth is, you would have to work in the field a long time before you get the knowledge and experience to do it from home. Some people may get lucky I suppose but I think that is the minority.
    Anonymous

• I have to agree. If you mean you want to take a medical billing course from one of those online programs such as PCDI...don't do it. Those $700-$900 "tuition" schools aren't accredited schools, and no employers will see the certificate of completion or degree as legit and take you seriously. Now, if you plan on taking online classes with a REAL accredited college that is better.

I would also recommend trying a school in your area, even if you have to do some online classes but still take some classes in school. My town has "community" courses from cooking, driving, computers, dancing, exercise, etc. etc. And years ago I took the 2 courses: Medical Coding & Billing, Medical Terminology. I applied at dozens of medical offices and hospitals in my area and even with the entry level positions they told me those courses were not enough training.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I had also looked into school for Medical Billing, but I thought it would be too much for me to handle. I recently started working from home. It's not a job, it's a business. I'm not sure if this is for you, but this is working for me. I love doing what I do, and I'd love to share with you if you're interested. I am a stay at home Mom to a 2 ½ year old and 1 year old. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Weekly pay! FREE website, training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 8:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Yes and yes, you can find info on the school i went to on my blog, although it was on military school funds they have payment plans and schalorships available click here to see the info.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I am currently attending Career Step for Medical Transcription but they also have a medical billing and coding program. The program is at your own pace, no deadlines or instructors. When I signed up I got a one year deadline then if I don't finish in that time frame I have to pay for an extension. Career Step is aimed at training for at home jobs. Good luck in your search for a school!
    RedheadMama18

Answer by RedheadMama18 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2010