Cloth diapers??

I think I might be pregnant. Which is not a good thing in my eyes so save your congrats... I'm NOT happy...

But if I am I'm tired of buying diapers. We never bought cloth with the two we have so I'm completely uneducated on all this...

Are there different sizes? How do they work? Aren't they really messy?? Where can you buy them? And are they expensive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they cost more at first but are worth it in the long run. you'll never run out of diapers, you don't need baby powder, no chemicals so theres no risk of rash, no odor, no leakage. they really are a lot better....you just scoop the poop in the toilet and throw them in the washing machine with a mild detergent
    Anonymous

• oh and the are not messy. they do come in different sizes, you can buy them almost anywhere they sell baby supplies
    Anonymous

• There are some that are one size (not really for newborns though) and some that are different sizes. There are many different kinds from the simple prefolds to the all in ones and they all work differently. They are not any messier then regular diapers. Mine got tossed in a pail and then thrown in the wash until they started solid food and then I scraped the really solid poo in the toilet first and then in the pail. Read the package of your disposables though and you will find that is what you are supposed to do with them too. For good ones you need to buy online unless you are in a large city that has a service or specialty stores. The cheap prefolds from Walmart are NOT good for diapers IMHO. They seem expensive at first, but the cost over the life of the child is MUCH cheaper then disposables. It gets even more cost effective if you use them on more then one child. Mine have been used on 4 children and counting
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I cloth'd all three of mine from birth to potty.

it seems pricey at the outset but in the long run saves a ton of money. and they're CUTE!

diaperjungle.ca, diaperpin.com borntolove.com are all some great sites with excellent info.

I loved Fitted diaper (looks like a disposable but is cloth), with covers. easy and simple.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Sizes? Most come in different sizes, however there are many now that are "one size fits all" and they adjust from 8-35 pounds. The bum genius 3.0 and funzzi bums one size are like this.

The bumgenius 3.0 and fuzzibunz are "pocket diapers" those and "all in ones" go on just like a disposable.Really easy! Even dad can do it!

Are they messy? I my experience, NO! For the first 6 months the poo is mostly liquid and comes out in the wash. When baby starts solids and poo gets solid you can just dump it into the toilet w/o any dunking or rinsing and then throw it into the wash.  Go to Cotton Babies For tons of info, prices, etc.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I've been using indian prefolds with Thirst covers & I LOVE them. We've had zero leaks in the 3 months we've been using cloth & the initial expense with the prefolds is not crazy at all. I have about 20ish prefolds & 5 covers. Definitely go to cottonbabies.com - they sell just about every kind of cloth diaper. We've also saved a ton of money since we started using them!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 7:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Quite a few of my girlfriends really like BumGenius. I think they get about 12 per kid, and they do come in different sizes. And they're cute, to boot. I think you might have to use a special detergent....
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2010