How do you clean your cloth diapers?

I keep seeing different kinds of diaper pails, odor eliminators, pre-wash solutions, cloth diaper laundry detergent...I'm about to buy our first cloth diapers but seeing all of these different "necessities" has me a bit..confused! What do I need to buy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• just throw them in the washing machine after scooping the poop...all you need is the detergent
    Anonymous

• I kept a diaper pail with Dreft in it. I would rinse out the soiled (poopy) ones and put them all in. I poured the dirty water in the toilet when it was time to wash and used Dreft for that.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• plain ol pail with lid ($3 at walmart - it has a cute little duck on it)

shake the poop out and put into the pail.

Put into washer and run a rinse cycle.

run the sanitary cycle with an extra rinse.

when I did a SUPER soak = I left in a garbage pail (big one wtih a tight lid) over night soaking in oxy and water. dump it into the wash and continue like that.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• No offense...but cloth diapers are too much work. All that extra washing doesn't seem like it would be worth it just to save a few dollars on diapers.

I only used disposable diapers on my kids, because I didn't want the hassle of cloth.
    And how do you keep them from leaking??? Are there like waterproof pants or something you put over the diaper? Otherwise, it's gonna make a mess, right?
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 7:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• The only ones that need dunked in the toilet are the poopy ones. You just have to get the solids off before they can go in the machine. Then dump all the diapers in a cold water wash with an extra rinse and no detergent. You can put some vinegar in this load if you want to, and that helps get the stink out (but it's not usually necessary). When that's done, do a warm water wash with just a tiny bit of detergent (I use the same dye-free, perfume-free liquid soap that I use for the rest of the family). Then put them in the dryer on high heat or dry them in the sun. Be sure not to put certain things in the dryer, like vinyl pants or your good pocket diapers. Many PVC covers cannot take the heat of the dryer, but the Bummis wraps can take the heat just fine.

I've been using a Diaper Genie that I had from before, and I spray it with bleach water every time. There are pails that are made for cloth. Join a CD group on CM.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• i used empty cat litter pails! I stored the used diapers in it, sprinkled in baking soda and closed the lid nice and tight (I never had problems with really stinky diapers). Once it was full enough for a laundry load, I washed them on hot, rinsed twice and hung them in the sun!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• How do you keep them from staining? My son's bf poop stains everything it comes it to contact with even if I rinse immediately!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Apr. 6, 2010