Greasing cake pans

When you are greasing a cake pan, before you bake, do you also flour the pan? How do you do this? How much flour do you use?

MommySwiggles

Asked by MommySwiggles at 4:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• its called dusting.

put some flour in the pan then tip it around so there is an even coat of flour on the whole thing. then you can tip out the extra flour.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• you first put a thin layer of butter around the inside of the pan and then fill it with about 2 tbsps of flour and shake it around til it coats the whole pan, then dump the excess flour in the garbage
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Suggestion...after dropping the pan into the trash can a few times, I started doing this over the sink :0) Good luck!
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I have a formula for the BEST cake pan release without the flour mess: 1/2 c. solid vegetable shortening (like Crisco), 1/2 c. vegetable oil, 1/2 c. flour. Mix all together with a mixer. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. If it separates, just stir.

To use: apply the mixture to the inside of the cake pan with a pastry brush or paper towel. Add batter and bake as usual.

I bake and decorate cakes and this works perfect, every time.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I use the spray that has flour in it (one brand is Baker's Joy, Wilton makes one too). For me it's easier than rubbing in the "grease" then flouring it. Works like a charm, I will never bake cakes without it!
    Anonymous

• i use crisco to coat pan and throw like 1/4-1/2 cup in there, and just tilt it around until its coated, dumb rest in trash and bang off extra. :)
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 7:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Unless you are making chocolate cake, then you want to use cocoa powder rather than flour. No white mess on your chocolate cake.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 7:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I use Pam for baking...it has flour in it already.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I use bakers joy. It workes better than flour and grease.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I lightly greased the bottom of my cake pans w/Crisco or margarine or butter (whatever I have on hand), then line the bottom with wax paper. After the cake is baked & has cooled for about 10 minutes, you flip it out of the pan, then peel off the wax paper. You'll have a perfect cake bottom every time, no flour build up around your cake edges and there is no worry about the hot fat you used to grease the pan over-browning your cake bottom b/c it never comes in contact w/your cake.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2010