How soon after you had baby did you start pumping?

Id like to pump so that my husband can help with feedings I heard waiting 4 weeks at least was best. When should I start? And how often? NEW MOM here in 2 weeks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started the day after since my daughter was in the NICU for 4 weeks. I continued after she got home so DH could share and for when I went back to work.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• If possible, nurse only, on demand, for the first 4-6 weeks, until nursing is well established. After that, when pumping for an occasional bottle, just pump whenever you need to, and also, you should pump during the feeding that is replaced with a bottle. Realistically, if baby is eating, milk should be removed from your breasts, to keep with supply. So if baby is nursing, milk is being removed. Also, if baby is getting a bottle, you should be pumping, to keep your supply. Does that make sense?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• i started beast feed the secound i gave birth to my son.. when i was in the hospital my doctor gave me a pump just in case i wanted to pump some out.. i have never heard you shoudl pump after 4weeks .. when you have your lil one..ask you doc all the question you have about breast feeding and about pumping.. he/she will answer them for you!!
    they will even help you too!!!
    good luckkk
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• So< if she is only getting 1-2 feedings from dad a day I should pump when he feeds??
    Anonymous

• Yes, any time the baby is eating, ESPECIALLY when they're very young, you should be pumping to maintain supply. Check into Breastfeeding Moms group for advice, and also, your local La Leche League.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• "So< if she is only getting 1-2 feedings from dad a day I should pump when he feeds?? "

Yes. If he's feeding. you are pumping. You will likely find that his feeding is more trouble than it's worth. Make him do the diapering and everything else, instead. He'll bond fine.

Pumping is a form of slavery...avoid it if you can. **grin** I was pumping at six days because my son went into the NICU. Ddn't last long, though...too much work. I went back to pumping when I went back to work.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• If you don't need a stash for extended periods of time away from baby, like work, then there's no set schedule. The best time I found for pumping was first thing in the morning, pumping on one side while feeding on the other. They say it's best not to introduce a bottle for the first 6 weeks or so, but you can start pumping whenever you want. Just not too often, or your body will think it needs to produce all that milk, and you'll be miserable. Once dad starts giving baby a bottle, pump whenever you miss a feeding to keep supply up, and you can use that milk for the next dad feeding.

I agree with gdiamante, though -- pumping really is slavery. It's easier to nurse, much easier. I avoided it at all costs. There are other ways for dad to bond with baby. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I started pumping when I was in the hospital - my milk wasn't coming in well due to severe anemia so we had to use a supplemental nursing system. After nursing was well established I only pumped enough to keep a few bottles frozen for when I was going to be away from home for a few hours and my son might get hungry, or to leave with the church nursery on Sunday mornings. As stated previously - nursing is much easier! My husband enjoyed giving my son a bottle every now and then, but it wasn't a huge deal. He would burp him and cuddle him after eating - just as good!

Answer by missanc at 5:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I started about a week after she was born. I wanted to increase my breast milk..and did I ever! geeze.lol.I let her daddy feed her breast milk in a bottle at about 4 weeks though, I didn't want her to have nipple confusion problems. He was a jealous one about not being able to feed her,lol. aww, poor daddy :(
    Anonymous

• with my first I was pumping within 12 hours - but she was in NICU and couldn't breast feed for the first few days.

the next two I think I started pumping when I needed dh to be able to give a bottle around 2-3 weeks. Other than that I just breast fed.

you don't really even NEED to pump.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2010