Homeschool curriculum for 2 yr. old?

I was wondering if there are any moms who homeschool their children. In this economy it is nearly impossible to pay the prices the childcare centers want to prep your child for pre-school. My two year old is very smart and I want to do all I can to get him prepared for kindergarten. Are there any good websites, books you can recommend that offer up a curriculum for him?

PatricksMama07

Asked by PatricksMama07 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The child is TWO. Let the child be a child and play. That's all the homeschool they need. They just had a program on this showing parents pushing them too far too soon does nothing for them. They learn more by playing.
    Anonymous

• Pre-school is designed to "prep" kids for school; there's no need to prep him for pre-school. Keep reading to him, whatever he wants, as much as possible; label things in everyday life while you're out, colors, numbers, letters, etc. If you give him a curriculum and push him too hard now, he's just going to hate school later and do poorly regardless of how smart his is.

He'll learn everything he needs to know through play and everyday conversation and reading. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I am beginning to incorporate the Montessori philosophy into our daily activities. We do not do workbooks,sit down time or anything like that. he totally leads the way through play but I make sure to only keep his room stocked with toys that help him to develop certian skills. (he is 21 months)
    For example, right now he is beading. He BEGS for his beads (just the cheap tiny plastic ones) and just threads them onto string over and over again. This teaches math, patterns and fine motor skills.
    The shape sorter by tupperware (its been around forever) is also a good toy and blocks are proven to help children develop a million different skills. Sesame Street is our TV time almost every day by his choice and thanks to it, he can count to ten already! Also, on fisherprice.com there are computer games for toddlers, he LOVES to play and I just leave the room while he does. He is recognizing letters because of a game on there.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 5:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I agree with everything everyone else said. I'd just add in socialization....finding other kids to play with, either at a park, or an organized group someplace. Good luck! :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• It's ridiculous to call it school when your children are not even school age. All parents should be teaching their children basic skills.

Anonymous

• I agree with the rest who say let the kids play and be "2". Lots of time with blocks and sandboxes, playdough and puzzles, parks and reading to him etc.

At the same time you can make a more deliberate effort to have some age appropriate learning activities for him. There is some great info on "homeschool" type stuff for toddlers at http://www.squidoo.com/toddler-workbox

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2010