Has your OB Doc ever offered you to do a planned c-section and you were able to have the baby early?

How early and how did it go?Was it more for convienience to do it earlier or was there a medical situation?
I really want to have this baby at the end of August rather than a couple weeks into September and my doctor offered that I could have a c-section, because I had to have a c-section with my last pregnancy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• At our hospital vbacs are not allowed and almost every planned c section is scheduled within 2 weeks prior to the due date...they say that if the baby is healthy and big enough on ultrasounds they don't want to risk you going into labor on your own... I've had two friends have this done and one the baby was on oxygen the first 24 hours but perfectly fine other than that...and the 2nd was perfectly healthy all around....good luck
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• No and I would not have the baby any earlier than the 39th or the 40th week. It's not good for the baby at all. I'd rather wait and let the baby come when she's ready to come, unless she's overdue. Then I'll ask the doctor to do something to help that process along but I don't want to ever induce labor or get a c secton.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 5:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I'd say if you're healthy, you should wait it out until you're due and just have the c-section planned out for your due date. Those couple extra weeks could be crucial. Remember that your due date could be off by two weeks in either direction.
    Anonymous

• my doctor hasn't ever offered it to me, instead, asked me what I want to do. Because of my first baby, he knew that my induction (only because I was past due) wasn't sucessful and I never dialated farther than 2cm. This last time with my twins, I opted for a c section because I know I can't dialated. I never dialated and I never had contractions or braxton hicks with them! We did the C section at 38 weeks because I was carrying around 14-15lbs of babies! lol I was in a lot of pelvic pain as well....
    I personally would never OPT to have a c section, but if there was a medical reason I'd do it.
    Have you ever had a C section? 6 weeks is the average recovery time!!!....not all are that long, but most are....
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 5:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Yeah, I would like to do it about the 38th week Jocelynsmama.Not anytime super early. Plus my kids have always been almost 9 pounds at 40 weeks so I'm sure by that time it will have some fat on her and be healthy. Of course they would do ultrasounds to make sure the lungs are developed enough and stuff . Thanks for the good luck! :)
    Anonymous

• My doctor asked me what I'd want to do. Sadly, we lost our second. I wanted to try the VBAC. Once you have 2 c-sections, you don't get a chance at VBAC EVER AGAIN. Food for thought.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 5:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Our hospital just recently changed their policy to not allow csections or inductions before 39 weeks unless there is a medical necessity. I had my daughter induced at 38 weeks a few years ago, but my son born last year we didn't have the csection until 39 weeks. There are just too many variables to consider. And then there is the recovery time on csections, which is MUCH longer and harder to deal with if you are running around after other ones!

Answer by missanc at 5:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• As the mother of 2 preemies, I will say that is really upsets me that you are considering putting your child at risk to so you can deliver in August. I would have given anything to be able to keep my son in there for those last 9 weeks...and for my daughter to have those last 3-4 weeks as well. The doctor shouldn't even offer to do it before 39 weeks.

The c-section? I decided to have my 2nd born via c/s because the first was an emergency c/s. It's a personal choice.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I had a c-section with my second at 37 weeks but that was after being on bed rest for 10 weeks and it got to a point where if he stayed in any longer he might not make it. So he was early-but definatly not for convinence or anything. My first was a section and I could choose a date with my second (had I not had all the issues) but my dr would not do it before 39 weeks.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 5:44 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Watch the documentary called "The Business of Being Born". C-Sections are meant to be for emergency only, but doctors have been using them for convenience. Most C--Sections take place around dinner time. It's never easy to say when to force a baby out based on a due date because that is just an estimate. The doctor could easily be robbing the baby of two weeks of development by doing a C-Section simply because the woman is tired of being pregnant or he will be out of town. My advice is to let it happen naturally, and save the C-Section as the emergency only option it is intended for.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 5:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2010