What kind of questions do you think Doctors missed when assessing you medically?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know that they miss asking comprehensive questions; however, I do think they don't seem to respond to some concerns I raise when I am there. If I feel like I need to mention something, at least tell me if there is nothing to be concerned about.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• They don't ask about your stress level.
    Anonymous

• MIne always has, Anon :51.
    Anonymous

• My current doctor is really good about it, he's also the only doctor in the office. The last place I went was a group practice where you never knew for sure which doctor you'd see, or if you'd even see a doctor instead of a PA. They twice prescribed me something I was allergic to, never asked and it was in the file. Never asked about symptoms common to my surgery (surgery was also in my history in my file), or if I'd ever taken a medication before, and if so what reaction it had. Contrast to my current doctor who will yell at me without asking about something as simple as taking ibuprofin (potentially bad for me, not for most people). When my father died he was grilling me 8 ways to Sunday about how I was sleeping, how I felt in general, etc, and he'd ask about how things tied in together (ulcer, stress, not sleeping, not eating). Old doctors would never have come close to asking things like that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• sexual questions are missed.
    Anonymous

• I don't think my doctor has missed anything. With the exception of a couple of allergies, a hysterectomy and surgery for breast lumps a few years back, I am in excellent health. I do like the way she takes time to find out what is causing the problem instead of just pushing a pill at me. A couple of years ago, I started having really bad headaches, honestly I was kind of scared because they were in the back of my head. It turns out my posture while working was the problem! It is hard to have good posture while leaning over a sewing maching 50 hours a week. I had no tests, just a nice "chat." I took some Motrin for a week or so and saw a physical therapist once..to help me with some exercises and a better posture while working.

So, I would have to say nothing..at least not yet!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I think they get annoyed when the patient says, "Yes, I tried that." Then they are out of remedies and so they say there is no problem.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My previous doctor was the type to come in the room, ask a question, tell you what he had to say, and leave. All within one minute. I couldn't ask any questions myself because he always seemed to be in such a big hurry that my mind would go blank! I had to write down whatever was bothering me so that I didn't have to think, it was there in front of me. (This doctor woud call in refill for my meds wihout doing any bloodwork to see if that dose was the correct one. I went for about 2 years without ever seeing him.) My current doctor is much more relaxed, and will spend as much time as I need, will answer any and all questions that I have. I am so happy with this doctor. He is very thorough, where my previous one was not. I will say this, though, I will not go to an MD. I would much prefer a DO. I think that is half the problem right there!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• well, the only doctor i go to on a regular basis is my OBGYN so im sure there are lots of questions he misses b/c his main concern is my female parts. but he always asks "how have you been feeling" which i feel is good enough to address any concerns about any medical problems i have. if he doesnt have the answer he has the main nurse (who's always in the room) to give me a number to his dr friend who can answer my question. im lucky to have found him.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I don't appreciate getting brushed off. I have had a concern of my overactive bladder for years and they just say to stop drinking so much water; but I still have to go!!
    Anonymous