What should your blood glucose reading be?

I know that it should be 90-100 after fasting and 120 or less 2 hrs after eating, but, what should it be at any given point in the day? What is considered high and uncontrolled? I've been trying to watch mine, but, when I follow the guidelines for a diabetic diet, mine still runs over 120, but never 200, after meals. I take 1000 mg of metformin 2 times per day. What should I do? I have to eat. I'm pregnant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Just like most things it needs to be around 100. However, it depends on you, your health, and what your body can tolerate. My brothers was 129 this morning when taken at the hospital by his nurse. She was pleased with that. My MIL's could be about 210 and she was in her happy place. Normal is usually between 90 and 110. Best advice though - ask your doctor about your readings.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Talk to the doctor who prescribed your metformin. Ask to see a nutritionist, if you can. They can give you tips on how to control your blood sugar and not feel starved. It sounds like you are doing pretty darn good to me!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Can I assume your doctor knows you're pregnant and taking metformin? It isn't supposed to be super dangerous for the fetus, but you will have much better control with insulin. Your readings should be as close to normal as possible, not just for you but for the baby's well being. I had 4 diabetic pregnancies and between using the insulin, eating six small meals a day and being careful about what I put in my mouth, I was able to maintain a desirable blood sugar reading.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• You REALLY need to talk to your doctor if you're pregnant and diabetic!
    Anonymous

• I've taken metformin, which IS safe during pregnancy, during both my pregnancies, and in fact with my last pregnancy I was taking glyburide as well....it acts in your body just like insulin and does not even go to the fetus and is safe as well, so it may be something to mention to your doctor.

What you have to understand though is that a textbook diabetic diet is just that. It's not custom tailored to each individual. Some diabetics can handle certain foods without spikes while others can't touch the same food. If you eat something and see that spike you knowIn that YOU can't handle that particuliar food, or not that much of that food....for eaxmple I can't eat mashed potatoes, but I CAN eat baked potatoes! Yes 80-120 range is where you want your goal to be. If the metformin and other meds don't keep you in that range you might be switched to or add insulin to your meds. I took 10 units a day w/my meds....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• ....and my A1c was 5.6 when I was tested during my 8th month of pregnancy. I had a healthy baby girl just under 4 months ago. I've been a type 2 diabetic for 7 years now (that I know about, but honestly was probably a diabetic for many years before I was diagnosed)!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2010