necessary breast reductions

so i know that cosmetic surgery is elective and therefore not covered by insurance, but i've read that some people need breast reductions because it can cause spinal damage. i'm a very short skinny woman with 34 ddd breasts. i already have a hunch from them plus awful back pain. think i could get a necessary breast reduction that insurance will cover? i've had these things since my tweens and they have really done some damage to my back/posture.

aliishott2

Asked by aliishott2 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Health

• Talk to your insurance carrier about it. They'll probably be stingy assholes, though and not want to cover it despite your pain.
    Anonymous

• Maybe a reputable surgeon will know how to word things that it becomes "medically necessary". It might take a while to find the right doc who will take the trouble to help you out. Good luck.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• well there is clearly damage because i have a noticeable hunch. i just don't want it to get worse. i'm a bit afraid that they won't do anything until it's beyond reparable
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Talk to your doctor. If it's affecting you that badly it shouldn't be such a big deal for insurance to cover. Talk to your doctor first, not your insurance - going to a chiropractor would also help - the more people like that you have contacting your insurance that it's necessary, the better.
    Anonymous

• you gave give them to me lol jk...i would talk to your insurance carrier
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Insurance does cover the cost of surgery in cases like your sometimes. It depends on your coverage, what the Dr. says etc. Make an appointment for a consultation with a reputable surgeon in your area who does this. They will know more and know a lot about how it works with insurance companies and if you are a good candidate etc.
    I hope it works for you! I must say I have always been completely happy with my AA chest!!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2010