the only jobs i've ever had are in retail and food service. what are my chances of getting something else and how do you get your foot in the door without any experience or college education?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• Target a company you want to work for and see what is available that you CAN do. Answering phones is one entry point; you get to know the company and how things work.

I've worked with two young women who started as receptionists and worked their way into good jobs from there.

If you have any management experience from your previous positions, the skills will translate to other industries...perhaps youcan become an office manager.

Start with your skill sets, and then start loooking to see who needs them.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• What ELSE is it you want?
    Anonymous

• I would try with a reception position.
    Anonymous

• Change your resume to state the skills you have...retail and customer service are great skills for jobs that have to deal with lots of clients. Figure out what you want to do, and how to work up to it. Lots of places consider reception, secretary, and file clerks as "entry level". I've personally worked my way from file clerk/receptionist to executive secretary. You have to be really eager and show them you can do it!
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 7:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Get Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel) and start a a receptionist for a law firm (they pay well).
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Go to a technical school and get a degree or certificate of some kind. It's tough. You need money to go to school, you need a good job to get money.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Its possible...my daughter worked years and years of retail and customer service...she didnt have any other experience. Now she's an Administrative Assistant for a place that ships eyeglass pieces to diff eye docs. (and places like Pearle Vision, LensCrafters, etc)
    auntietotty

Answer by auntietotty at 8:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Ask all your friends, neighbors and relatives if they have any positions open at the place they work, that's a great way to get hired. Your chances of getting something else also depends on how you conduct yourself, how you look, and how you speak., why not go back to college? Food service is an excellent way to support yourself while going back to school. When I first emigrated here I waited tables for 6 years. I went to ITT Tech to get a bachelors in Electronic Engineering when I was 29 and now I earn over $100,000/year. Good luck
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• If you're attractive...try getting into advertising sales. It's hard work but first year out I made $120K.
    Anonymous

• You have many soft skills that will easily transfer to other industries: customer service, management, scheduling, etc.

I do career and job search coaching, and would be happy to review your resume.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 AM on Apr. 7, 2010