what did I do wrong here? (potty training age question)

My friend had a bd party for her 3 year-old. Lots of toddlers/preschoolers there. There was one 4 year-old, some 2 and 3 year-olds and then my two girls - 18 months and almost 3. My girls are both potty trained (my 18 month-old is in underwear around the clock but still needs occasional reminders when we're in a new place and has a few accidents a week still); my 3 year-old has also been trained since about that age. Shortly after I got to the party I asked my older daughter to show her little sister where the potty was and to take our potty ring into the bathroom. I thought this would be a good reminder to use the potty for both of them (big party, lots of excitement). Later, after cake, I pulled my little one to the side and told her to use the potty, then I slipped out and helped her. My friend who hosted was mad at me! She said I was rubbing it in that my girls were the only ones trained (except the 4 year-old).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What, were you supposed to just let them piss on themselves? Your friend is being an idiot.
    Anonymous

• OP here, ran out of space. What did I do wrong? My friend insinuated I was trying to take attention from her son. We didn't even mention the potty except those two times... and it's not like the other parents weren't dealing with other issues with their own kids! There were diapers being changed, cups of milk being retrieved... I just don't get why mentioning the potty around some kids who aren't trained is a faux pas!
    Anonymous

• You did nothing wrong. The problem was hers, not yours.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Sounds like she has issues of her own. You needed to get your girls to the potty and you were doing your job as a mom.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you did anything wrong. Sometimes parents who potty train later are defensive about it. I wouldn't worry. She's doing what she feels is best for hers, you're doing what is best for yours.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• she's jealous. how sad
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies here...you did the right thing...you're a very good mom. You are responsible for your children esp if youre not at home.
    Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2010