Easter vs Resurrection Day.

I hear alot of compltaint about how Christians are taking a pagan holidy and making it Christian. I wonder however if they ever thought of this... Even though it is true that Easter is pagan and not Christan does not mean that Christians do not have a right to celebrate on this day. If my memory serves me right Easter is to celebrate the rebirth of the earth. For Christians it is more deeper, Jesus took rebirth to another level. On Easter Jesus decided to make that day the beginning of spiritual rebirth available for everyone who wants it. Isn't that great? God/Jesus allows the earth renew itself every year around the same time which is a reason to celebrate But God wants to give us renewal by spiritual regeneration through the Holy Ghost. Why can't we celebrate our spiritual renewal as others celebrate earthly renewal? Why the fuss?

ptomom678

Asked by ptomom678 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• amen sister im there with u and want to know why also
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 7:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I know, it's like saying that somebody else can't celebrate their birthday on the day you were born because you're older...there are only so many days in a year and there are reasons for which days Holidays fall on.
    Anonymous

• I don't know a Pagan that actually gets mad at Christians for celebrating Easter as the resurrection of Christ. I DO hear them get mad as hell when they are cornered with comments against them, such as when someone asks what they are doing for Easter and someone butts in with, "That isn't what easter is about, you are wrong, it's about Jesus only. " or "you're going to hell for not honoring Jesus's Resurrection" which is normally why a Pagan will bring up the actual origins of Easter..
    When it comes to holidays in general, such as say, Christmas, (another big argument starter) things get brought up, and when one person has to make comments that are commending Jesus AND disrespecting Pagans in the same sentence is normally when you'll hear about it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Yeah maybe so but you forget it wasnt the true day jesus died or was rearected. we took it to make our people not celebrate pagan holidays,
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Yeah maybe so but you forget it wasnt the true day jesus died or was rearected. we took it to make our people not celebrate pagan holidays

Where are you getting this heretic information from?
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• promom they did that with alot of the christian holidays.... just celebrate a christian event on the day of a pagan holiday to keep the christians from participating in pagan rituals. it was bc the christian people still liked the festivities they were used to but the church wanted to put a 'christian' meaning behind it. it's not a big secret.... pretty common knowledge
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• sorry.... i meant ptomom
    princessbeth79

• My pastor preached an amazing message on Easter eve ( we have church on Sat night and we are not SDA) .
    What Jesus did was make creation NEW on Resurrection Day. I never really thought of it preached that was before. Ill have to listen to the message on Podcast again to be reminded of what he said but it really brought out a deeper meaning of Jesus' resurrection. It was a day things were made NEW, no longer under OT LAW but NT Grace and no longer needing the sacrificial lamb because He did it all on the cross. Awesome stuff.
    As for Easter and pagan .. yes you need to read how Easter was put on a certain day every spring. Constintan (SP) was not a very nice person and decided to use the spring equinox to have Easter on and all that. been a while since I read about it.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Easter always falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox. .Ostara is the pagan celebration for the spring equinox. So that doesn't necessarily mean they are on the same date. It's more a joining of traditions and cultures here, than anything. Which is essentially what most holidays are. A celebration of sorts, for anew season, celebrating the birth of someone, or their memory after death,, etc etc etc. SO really it doesn't matter WHO celebrates WHAT holidays, or when, or why. I'm atheist, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to celebrate a holiday because I'm not religious, I celebrate the cultures BEHIND the holidays, rather than for religious reasons. Just as, in America, we celebrate july 4th without involving religion.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Worship who you want.
    Celebrate what you want.

...and let others do the same.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2010