How do you disipline your child?

Do you use time out
or
spanking
or
both

What has worked best for you?

hisblueeyes

Asked by hisblueeyes at 7:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Time out works or taking away her favorite toy for a while.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 7:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• None? Is that an option? We do personal time in the room and give him choices. You can take some personal time in your room to work it out or you can____________. We take away the toy of the moment when something happens. We give him some suggestions on how to correct his behavior and ask how he wants to solve it. So far so good. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I never spank. The time outs seem to work, and taking away privileges.
    she gets a warning after she does something wrong once. 'you do that again, you're getting a time out' then if she does it, she gets a time out. she gets them over and over until she stops. Most I've had to do is 3 in a row though. I know that game- the whole idea that the time outs will stop doesn't happen.
    and if we're out and about to do something really fun and she misbehaves she gets a warning, a time out, then we go home. Going home sticks in her head big time!
    one thing that I see sometimes is the whole threat of 'we'll leave if you do that' then they don't.
    I think that following through works well- keeping your word.
    Anonymous

• Neither. My 21 month old has no concept of the purpose of a "time out".

I expect her to do what I ask her to do. If she chooses not to, then I make sure she does it. I will walk over to her and repeat what I said, and will make sure she is doing what I asked. If it involves not touching something, I take the onject away for a short time.

I know for sure that I won't spank. Ever.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Time out 1min per her age. I Rarly ever spank my child. taking her away from the situation and talking to her at eye level works wonders with her. Kids understand more then you think even at a young age.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Time outs work for us. We don't spank her because I got spanked and it made me mad and hurt (emotionally) that my stepdad was hitting me. Plus I don't want to tell her hitting is not ok and then her turn around and say "But Mom you hit my butt" I think that would be hard to explain to a 3 year old.
    Anonymous

• I mostly used time outs and spankings when DD was little. She's outgrown that now. So we use loss of video games or other things. She knows that if we are out somewhere and I say "stop it or we'll leave" that I will follow through every time. Sometimes there isn't even a threat. I will just say "ok, your done" she knows when shes done something wrong.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I use a variety of techiniques with my 10 year old son.I've spanked when necessary,I've soaped up his mouth once when that became necessary, he's been grounded, he's had toys and privledges taken away. Whatever punishment may fit the crime without giong over the top or underdoing it so the point doesnt get across.
    My 13 month old daughter...I ground her ALL the time..she's BAD! LOL..JUST KIDDING!! lol. I just redirect her at this point, thats all she needs.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• we use time outs, when needed and give the kids personal alone time, when needed. We do not spank. We talk to our kids when they did sometime wrong or made a poor choice.
    Anonymous

• I didn't spank.  Just seems like a way to get out a paren't anger and doesn't teach a kid anything.  I heard 1-2-3 Magic is a good general discipline book.  See it here and other discipline books

http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=15

More parenting help/ideas http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2010