Question about c-sections

I had a friend go into labor once and she said her doctor pretty much cornered her into a corner to have a c-section, even though she didn't want it. She wasn't that far dialated but the doctor insist she have a c-section. She felt that he was simply rushing so he can go where ever. Has this ever happened to you? And how do you prevent it from happenig to you? And aren't you allowed to create a birthing plan so that it doesn't happen?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 7:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My c-section was by emergency - I have fat headed kids and he was sideways, despite trying to move him, he would just turn back. After I had him, we realized that he would have never fit naturally. Sometimes not everything goes as you plan, so you have to do what's best for the both of you. I have heard that some doctors try to push you to have cessareans. If it did happen to me, the way it did with your girlfriend, I would ask for a second opinion, as long as neither of you were in any distress.
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 7:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• She could have said no...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 7:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• It didn't happen to me, but it does happen a lot. That's why when I moved I found the doctor in the area with the lowest rate of c-sections.
    Anonymous

• Most doctors hate birthing plans! I thought I was going to do that with my first but it was too late before I realized that my Dr. completely ignored the whole idea. I ended up with a c-section and am not completely convinced that it was needed. I later learned that the Dr I had has the highest c-sect rate at that hospital.
    If I had it to do over again I would have shopped more for doctors and been more proactive about preventing a c-section. If at all possible get a midwife!
    I was able to have a very easy kBAC with my 2nd, fortunately! (Different Dr., needless to say!)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• The only way to know why he is pushing for something is to know what is going on with your body!! Yes, they have birth plans to try and prevent them as much as possible. But, if for whatever reason you need to have an unplanned Section could be for a number of reasons. Baby is to big to fit, heart rate drops ect. But these days more and more moms are having them. Its not a matter really of IF you dont want one or not..In the end you are going to want to do what is BEST FOR YOUR BABY!! But, be sure you have a doctor that will tell you what is going on with your body and your baby!!

I for one did with my frist and will be doing the same for my second.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• That was supposed to say VBAC :-)
    maggiemom2000

• She could have said no...

She did. He was insistent on getting her a c-section and she didn't want it but he made her have one anyway.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 7:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• "She could have said no... "
    You think that, but it is completely different when you are in labor, in the hospital and they are telling you all of these reasons why you should have a c-section. I was 100% certain that I would have a completely natural birth with NO medical interventions at all, and ended up with a c-section that I may not have needed.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I don't know the reason why the doctor wanted her to have one, she said that the baby was fine, she was fine and there was no risk. He would not even allow her to ask questions or her mom to ask questions, he was just a very persistent doctor.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 7:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• So your willing to risk your childs life because you didnt want to have a c section? Im sure if any of YOU were Drs you would know what your talking about.BUT your not.You didnt go to school to see the signs of when to do the c section.Sure its scary BUT your not gonna DIE.MILLIONS of people do it.You can die giving birth also...
    Anonymous