did you ever watch the movie American History X? How did it make you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I seen that movie a few years ago. Very disturbing. I had nightmares after I watched it about the night that one guy put the other guys open mouth over that curb and that smashed in his head with his boot,omg. I still can see that part in my head. Awful!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Disturbed, uncomfortable...changed.
    It's an amazing film. I think art is supposed to unnerve you.
    Anonymous

• It's not really that graphic, there are couple scenes (spoiler alert!) - when he curb stomps the guy and the prison rape scene. But other than that there's really nothing over the top and I wouldn't really call those two scenes gory. It is disturbing though, but more in an emotional way. From how totally racist the characters start out, to how certain people live up to the stereotypes, to the hopefulness that rises. It's an excellent movie, but it really puts things out there and makes you think about them. Not a happy movie with an ending that neatly wraps things up, not a comfortable movie at all. But certainly an one that makes you think.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I LOVE LOVE LOVE that movie. My husband owns it on DVD, I watched it while he was at work one night. I remember feeling very uncomfortable while watching it. The ending especially shook me.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My son has the movie. It is good to see the "bad guy" turn good for a change. And awesome to see him actively converting his brother...well, trying to.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I have that movie and watch it every now and then. I got it for my son. I think all kids should watch it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Its very disturbing and the side walk scene was too much for me, I wont watch again for that reason. But a good movie...hard to watch

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I can't watch the sidewalk scene either sweet. Once was more than enough, but the overall message of the movie is worth the watch for the rest of it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Yeah...all you keep bringing that scene up and my teeth are now hurting me. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• i liked the movie, i loved the way the brother changed too. I always wondered if any black families watched it and how they felt?
    Anonymous