Nasonex for toddler under 2?

My 18m old son has horrible seasonal allergies/asthma symptoms. We have been trying 1/2 tsp Zyrtec at night, and he uses Flovent (with mask & chamber). Major congestion and-or running nose. He has tubes, but still continues to get ear infections.
His allergist wanted to see how he'd do with the Zyrtec (works, but not well enough) and suggested our next step by Nasonex. His ENT has thought about putting him in Singulair.
Anyone have a child younger than 2 on these medications? Success? Side Effects?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter who has the same health issues as your son is 8 now. She's been on Flovent siince before she turned a year old. My daughter didn't start taking Nasonex until 2 years ago and only uses it as needed for when the membranes on the inside of her nose swell up so much that she can't blow her nose. It works really well for that. She takes Allegra for allergies and it seems to work well. My daughter sees a pediatric pulmonologist who talked about putting her on singular next fall depending on how she does on a higher dose of Flovent. He said that sigular works really good for exercise induced asthma but isn't the best all around asthma medication.

Anonymous

• Flovent is really easy to use and I don't think it would be hard to use on a toddler. It's a spray that goes up the nose. They only take one squirt in each nostril a day and there isn't enough medication going in for it to even drain out.

Hang in there, it will get better and easier to manage!

Anonymous