Do you let your child crawl in bed with you, or march them back to bed?

We were out with another couple on Saturday, and I jokingly made a comment, gee I hope we get home, before Billy comes into our room. The husband was mortified that we allow our DS to come to our bed if he wants too,,some nights he does, some nights he doesn't (he is just turned 5 not 15, LOL!) The husband says were are ruining him,,, I did the same and so did my DH when we were little, it seems cruel to me to not let this happen esp. if they are scared or something? What do you think?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 8:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you and your husband are both ok with your children climbing into bed with you, whose business is it anyway? There have only been a few times we let our little ones sleep in our bed and I remember it NOT comfortable at all!! We have a queen bed and between hubs, the kid and the cats there was no space left for me! Usually if one of the kids wakes up with a nightmare or sick, hubs or I will see what is going on and then most of the time they are able to go back to their own bed and back to sleep. If they can't then hubs or I will bunk down in the livingroom with them for the night.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:01 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I always allowed mine to stay and they turned out ok

Answer by admckenzie at 8:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I let him,I love my little cuddle bunny! DH doesn't mind.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• It depended on my mood. If they had nightmares then yes. And if hub were out of town then sure. But for the most part my marriage bed, is my MARRIAGE bed. I never wanted my kids to sleep in the same bed that hub and I throw down in lol. But every once and a while it's fine. My 10 year old still comes in when a nightmare happens
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Nothing wrong with them doing that, most kids do this, and I for one loved it!

Answer by older at 8:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Depends...Sometimes if they are having a hard night. But I can not sleep with someone else in my bed. I co-slept all three of my kids until 15 months and then they went to their own beds. I usually cuddle them for a while and then put them back in their own beds. If they are having a really hard night they can stay if they sleep next to hubby. He doesn't notice and then I can still sleep.
    No sleep equals really crabby mommy.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• my son is 6 and has never slept thru the night his whole life. He crawls into our bed every night and we put his butt right back in his own bed. It breaks my heart that we dont let him sleep in the bed with us but he has his own room with his own bed and thats where he needs to sleep.
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 8:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My kids are 2 and 4 and they have never done this before... but if they wanted to, I would let them. And I used to get in bed with my mom every single night until I was like 7 or 8. I would always go to sleep in my own bed but then wake up in the middle of the night and go to her room. I don't see anything wrong with it.
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• our dd comes in almost every night. she is 20 months. occasionally she makes it all night in her crib, but usually bewtween 3 and 4 am she comes in. we ended up putting a little blow up bed next to our bed... only bc we were tired of her sleeping horizontally and kicking us in the face.. haha. i dont see anything wrong with it. there will come a day when she wont want anything to do with us. and i think that was rude of your friend to say youre "ruining" your son. if he and his wife dont let their child in and that works for them, then thats fine... but he shouldnt pass judgement.
    Anonymous

• My 14y/o old crawled into my bed this weekend...only because we were at my mom's house and in bunkbeds and he was too lazy to clim into the top bunk, so, he slept in the bottom one with me. Who cares? He doesn't do it every night....he did until age 5 though. No other place for him to sleep really. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2010