Anyone else have a baby/toddler that the doctor says is underweight?

My daughter is just about 14 months. She weighs in at 19.5 pounds.The doctor says she is about 2 pounds underweight. I said well, at least she doesn't look too thin.And he gave me a strange look and said well, yeah she does.
If you were to see her, she looks like a normal, healthy lean baby. She's not chubby, shes not skinny either.
Do you think that weight is too little for her or is this a case of the doctor just comparing every child to eachother and its just on the charts.
It really bothers me because I try to get her to eat,but she really doesnt eat that much. I give her b.fast,lunch, dinner with several heathy snacks and drinks in between.She'll take a few bites of something and shes just done.I can't force her to eat more than what she is eating.What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 3 of my 4 kids were considered "underweight" when they were babies. with my 4th one, he was so little, i had my husbands family members secretly talking about calling CPS on me because they thought i wasnt feeding him. i was taking him to the doc every week for a little over a month. i had to make a journal about what all he ate and drank. he was eating normally, he just wasnt gaining! my dr. always considered it "failure to thrive" but he never said he was concerned i wasnt taking care of the kids. eventually, usually around a year and a half or two, they started gaining more weight, and were considered "healthy" again. it is super frustrating when you feel your doing what you can do and your still being told its not "enough" or that your kid isnt "normal". if you dont have a dr that is willing to work it out with you like mine was, i say get a 2nd opinion. if not, just keep feeding your kid. if shes healthy, your ok.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 12:37 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Is she tracking on the same curve she's been on? My middle son was always underweight, according to the drs - and at 10 years old he still is! But he's incredibly healthy and eats like a horse, he's just built tall and thin.

Answer by missanc at 9:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• well, how tall is she? to make a good decision you need to compare what percentile she is in the height vs. what percentile she is in the weight. if they are pretty close i wouldn't worry about it and just say that she's just lean. if they're very different then i might try supplementing her meals with pediasure.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I went through the same thing with my oldest! She was always in the 3rd percentile, but was growing at a predictable rate and never fell off the curve. Now at 10 yo, she is the littlest in her class, but is the healthiest, smartest, and happiest little girl!

My six year old is a different story... she has never been large enough to be on the charts, and after YEARS of trying to add extra calories we've finally given in to the fact that she will always be tiny (26 pounds and wears size 2-3T)
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• umm that sounds really underweight. My dd weighed 20lbs at 4 months and now weighs 22lbs at 7 months. She is a little over-weight but my 21 month weighed 24lbs at 12 months and wasnt overweight. try to stop the snacks and drinks during the day and give her healthy meals. dont let her down for a little while and offer what she didnt eat if she's hungry later
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• OH yeah... and neither her dad or I are large people. After I kept telling the nutritionist that we weren't "big" they finally agreed that my oldest was fine in the 3rd percentile.

My six year old... we pumped more pediasure shakes (mixed with ice cream and peanut butter) in her and it made no weight difference. If anything it only made her constipated. We even added Karo syrup. That made her have diarrhea. Still no weight gain though!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• umm that sounds really underweight. My dd weighed 20lbs at 4 months and now weighs 22lbs at 7 months.

umm.... that sound really OVER weight to me!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My son was always in the 50%.....he was 22lbs at a year and 23lbs at 18months. Now, at 14y/o he is only 82lbs and 5'1". He is just tiny. I was 23lbs in kindergarten and wore a 6x in 3rd grade....my mom's side of the family is tiny. I think your daughter is fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• OP here: She is tall for her age too.Tall and thin. Isn't that what all of us want?lol.
    I have tried buying her the pediasure, I have some in the fridge now, actually. the girl will not drink it. She has thrown the cup back at me, lol.I have tried mixing it with other stuff. I have tried warming it up.
    I offer her a variety of foods, I continue to give her the old ones that I know she likes and I keep on trying her out on new ones daily.
    I don't know. It does worry me though. I know I try my best to feed my baby :(
    It just makes me sad. It makes me think of people who get thier kids taken away for malnurtrition.But I DO feed her.I don't want them to think I don't.I'm probably over thinking it.I know. I do that a lot.lol.

She was sick for a while back in January,at that point her weight leveld off and she didnt gain anything for about a month.So maybe she is still being affected from that.I don't know.
    Anonymous

• my dd was born 10 lbs, and now at 3 yrs old shes 28 lbs. the doctor actually told me she was short and fat, although shes 38 inches tall. we found a new doc, who said shes fine. if its really bothering you, get a second opinion.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2010