I would like to tighten up my abs for the "bathing suit season" but crunches and situps hurt my back. ( I had surgery a couple years ago and those irritate it). does anyone have any ideas that would work to get fit?

Asked by Luv_My_JuJuBean at 10:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• Try doing crunches on an exercise ball. The big rubber kind. It is better for your back and concentrates on all your core muscles simultanously.

Answer by MeghansMommy410 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• try weight training you will need to get instruction on how to do the exercise right to target the right areas also try building up your back muscles first.

Answer by ilovemybananer at 12:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• swim swim swim!!!! it is easy on the joints so your back wont hurt...i know i broke my tail bone 2 years ago trust me i know back is also a TOTAL body workout not just your core but your arms legs an butt will tighten up....also lets not forget good ole CARDIO!! swimming is an EXCELENT sorce of cardio for all that fat burning and without lowering your bodyfat matter how many curnches you do...those abs will not sho thru a "protective layer"

Answer by ladiematrix at 2:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• The exercise ball thing is what I was going to suggest. They're inexpensive and work woners. Good luck!

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• tae-bo works wonders on your stomach, arms, and legs all at the same time

Answer by vakatia at 3:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Have you tried the bender ball. I love it. I ate correctly, did the ball for 30 min everday and lost 10 pounds. I did this for a month. The exercises will hurt, especially if you haven't worked out in a while. But their suppose to, that shows your body is feeling the exercise.

Answer by notlott37 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I heard the exercise ball works very well. If you work a desk job, sit on it there or at your home computer. It helps because you use your ab muscles to balance.

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2008