Someone in our neighborhood is throwing little stuffed monkeys in our yard???

Someone in our neighborhood is throwing little stuffed monkeys in our yard. My husband and I are a interracial couple (I'm black and he's white) with a little girl who's 3. We live in Colorado Springs and he's in the Army. It's a Military town so I was a little taken a back. The first time it happened my husband was deployed and I was out doing a lot of yard work. We live in a predominantly white area, but I grew up in the same situation and never had this happen to me. Has anyone else dealt with this type of thing? We will be moving soon back east to VA so we are trying not to let it bother us. Well I'm not but my husband is really upset.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It is probably some kid being stupid. Don't worry about it, it is just a stuffed toy after all.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• i would just set up a video camera in the window to tape the area that it's happening in. if you see who's doing it you can confront them or take it to the police.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• It's not just a stuffed toy, it's a racial insult. I would keep your eyes open, maybe run a video camara out the window and try to catch them. Then report it to the police. It's a hate crime.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Sorry that people are so stupid. I live in Peyton Colorado so if you want to get together just write me.

I think because Obama is a disappointment, ignorant people will lash out.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• No, it's not just a stuffed animal. It's an ugly thing to do. I can see why your husband is upset, I'd be upset, too. I agree, put up a camera if you can. I bet it's not kids, not young one's anyway. It's good you are moving soon. Not soon enough, I'm sure.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• wow...thats really bad, especially for a military town. i like the PPs advice to set up a camera to catch them & report it. other than that i say hold your head high & dont let them get to you or your DH.

it seems like a very costly way to be racist...buying stuffed toys...hopefully its just stupid kids and i hope you catch them!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• i'm sorry but a stuffed monkey is not a racial insult unless you make it one. Does it have the n word written on it? I think its people just trying to get to you...you should act as if it doesnt even bother you. keep the frickin monkey and let your daughter play with it out in the yard and in public so whoever can see. I'm sure that would really rip a hole in their ass. I would set up a video camera too...if they saw it didnt bother you then they may come along and push it a step further to where it was something REALLY nasty and you could actually press charges...so get yourself a camera.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• WOW i live in aurora colorado..n dated a white guy it was pretty exclusive..n never had this problem,can't believe how ignorant people still are about interracial couples
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 9:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• How many times is 'keeps'?
    Anonymous

• OP Here: Thanks so much ladies.. We had already decided to get a camera before I posted. It my not seem like a big deal to some people, but this is the 2nd time it has happened.  Also this is our home where we are raising our daughter and it's upsetting. Thank you to those who understand.

Anonymous