How long should I wait before re-offering egg to my daughter after mild allergic reaction?

My daughter will be 1 year old next week, and I just gave her straight egg for the first time yesterday morning, 2 or 3 bites. She had a somewhat mild allergic reaction to it (rash around the mouth, then threw up a few hours later after her nap), so we'll be avoiding straight egg for now. She doesn't have any problems with baked goods containing egg or anything like that, or when I eat egg and then nurse her. So is it likely that this is something she'll grow out of? How long should I wait before I try feeding her egg again?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 9:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had a slight allergy like you describe when he turned one. He was also ok with foods that had egg in them, just the staright egg gave him some hives and a bit of facial swelling. 95% of kids who have an egg allergy grow out of it by age 5. And half of the leftover 5% grow out of it by age 17, so luckily, its a slim chance that it will be a lifelong allergy. Avoid the flu shot, as that has the protien from the eggs that causes the allergy. I tried my son again at age 2 and he does ok with them now. He doesn't eat them much and I still watch him closely, but since his second birthday, he hasn't had any reactions.(He's 2 1/2 now) And continue the foods with egg or egg product in them as long as there is no reaction, its what helps build the immunity to the allergen. I know you are going to talk to your doc, but all the above info was per my doc when I found out about my son's allergy.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Ask her Dr, You should tell her Dr soon too.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• As far as I know eggs are a big no-no for babies under one, since she is turning one next week, I can understand why you desided to give it a go -- BUT, since she also had a reaction to it, I would wait till I had had a talk w/ her dr. before I retry...if I would ever retry...
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 9:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• talk to her doctor.
    My one son is allergic to dairy. If I ate it while I was breastfeeding he would end up w/ an ear infection.
    With my 2nd son if I ate dairy while breastfeeding he would end up w/ an ear infection.
    Now with my youngest she had severe ezcema. So I had some testing done on her. Her stressers are dairy, gluten, egg, brown sugar, white sugar, cane sugar. It took 8weeks eliminating all those things from my diet(I did that because I was breastfeeding). After those 8wks her skin cleared up. One time since all this went down she got a hold of a dairy free surgar cookie, she came down with an ear infection the next day
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I will be talking to her doctor at her 1-year visit in a few weeks, but I didn't figure it's something I need to call about before then since we'll be avoiding egg for at least several months anyway. Just wanted to get a general idea from others' experiences. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Egg allergies are apparently common. Our doctor told us that it's something my daughter would likely grow out of but we've not been given a time frame for when.
    lady_kira

Answer by lady_kira at 9:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• my food alergy bk says to wait on introducing egg till after 2 yrs old. if your child out grows the allergy my book says it'll happen by age 5. (85% out grow an egg alergy).

Some vaccines are made w/ egg protiens. They are flu vaxs and the MMR. I don't do the flu shots for my kids and I wait on the MMR till age 5(not because of allergies but safety)
    Anonymous

• My best friend's son got scrambled eggs as a first "table food" and had a severe allergic reaction. She stayed off giving him anything with eggs in it per doc's orders (careful, a lot of jarred baby foods have egg) until he was 2, and now has no reaction whatsoever to egg.
    ohsowonderful

Answer by ohsowonderful at 10:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• She should be tested for egg allergy. It can be deadly. My grandson is 18 months and just had the tests. We had no idea he had problem with eggs or peanuts but he had bad test reactions to both. So bad he can't have anything with any at all in his foods and his mom can't eat any because of breastfeeding. We have to keep an epipen with him 24/7. Scary stuff!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I don't know a lot about this personally, but I do know my sister was allergic to peanut butter from the time she was 2 until she was 6 so allergies can last a long time, if they go away at all.
    Gecko85

Answer by Gecko85 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2010