How long should I wait before re-offering egg to my daughter after mild allergic reaction?

My daughter will be 1 year old next week, and I just gave her straight egg for the first time yesterday morning, 2 or 3 bites. She had a somewhat mild allergic reaction to it (rash around the mouth, then threw up a few hours later after her nap), so we'll be avoiding straight egg for now. She doesn't have any problems with baked goods containing egg or anything like that, or when I eat egg and then nurse her. So is it likely that this is something she'll grow out of? How long should I wait before I try feeding her egg again?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 9:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• did you only give her egg? or did it have cheese? or did you mix milk in it? did she have anything else?
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Did I not just post an answer to this...? ;-)

I would not try again till I had a talk w/ her dr.
    Eggs are a no-no for babies under 1...I know she's turning 1 next week, and understand why you would try it...but, please talk to her dr. before you try again.

Good luck, mama.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 9:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I'd talk to her pediatrician before exposing her to egg only.  If she's had a mild reaction when you gave it to her before it is recommended (they have those age guidelines for a reason), it is libel to be WORSE the next time.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• DONT NOT GIVE IT TO HER AGAIN!!!!
    GO TO THE DOCTOR AND HAVE AN ALLERGY TEST.
    MY DAUGHTER DIED FROM FOOD ALLERGIES. THIS IS VERY SERIOUS!!!
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 9:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• it is libel to be WORSE the next time.

THE FIRST TIME SHE COULD HAVE THE REACTION AND RASH AND THROWING UP, THE NEXT TIME COULD KILL HER
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 9:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I will be talking to her doctor at her 1-year visit in a few weeks, but I didn't figure it's something I need to call about before then since we'll be avoiding egg for at least several months anyway. Just wanted to get a general idea from others' experiences.

hisblueeyes, I'm sorry about your daughter. Thank you for sharing your experience
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My DD has an egg allergy, only threw up from it, 2 times never ate it just put in her mouth and spit it out, about 2 hours later threw up. 1 time ate it and threw up with in minutes. I didnt realize it was egg until i brought her in because she was throwing up and i wasnt sure why, they asked questions and i thought of egg, we now have an epi pen and avoid straight egg. she too is fine with baked goods with egg, like meatloaf, muffins, pankcakes.
    I worry that the next time she has it will be worse than the others..... its not something to take lightly....

Anonymous

• my dd doctor told us that eggs are ok before a year, same with peanut butter ( watch for choking haz.). the only thing they said to wait for is honey.
    Anonymous

• My son is allergic to both egg and milk. One of the previous posters is right, if it is an allergy, each exposure can produce a worse reaction, I wouldnt give it to her again, Id talk to your pediatrician and get her in for allergy testing as soon as you can. Its so much better to be safe than sorry and I really dont want to scare you, but her next exposure could cause breathing issues, shock, or even death, This is definitely not something to guess about or try to deal with on your own.

Good luck
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 12:19 AM on Apr. 6, 2010