is it really unhealthy for a child to sleep 'late'?

i personally think my mom is making a big deal out of this... but my nearly 2 yo dd falls asleep around 10pm. and wakes up around 8-9-10am. then takes an hour nap around 2. i'm a single wahm. i don't have to worry about waking up early. but my mom keeps nagging me about putting her to bed at 8. "you should sleep early so you can wake up early" i haven't slept on time since the 3rd grade. it really bugs me. my dd still gets enough sleep. what's the big deal? i think my mother is comparing me to other moms who put their child to bed "on time". anyway if there really is some sort of health risk please. let me know. i understand putting your child to bed early will make it easier for school time. but, what if you plan on home schooling? XD

i'm slightly venting. and honestly just wanna hear something to cheer me up. or hear ppl agree with me. but if there really is a health risk to sleeping late. PLEASE tell me and i'll change.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no. Not a health risk... as long as your dd is getting enough sleep. When they start school then they have to get up early and so you have to put them to bed earlier.
    Some parents believe on having an early schedule from the beg. my mom used to get on me about put them on a sched. too.... my ans. was they are on a schedule... their body and my house's schedule.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Idk if theres a health risk, but if your kids sleeping late or whatever works for you, stick with it. My mom says the same but i wake up late too, so I dont want my baby waking up all early and me being all drowsy.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• maybe she is just worried about the switch she will have to make once school starts. it will be a pretty drastic change in her routine and it's better to do it gradually than all at once and at the last minitue. that's the only reason i could think of other than she's just being bossy lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Your kids... your schedule!!! As long as they get enough sleep it's all good!!!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Health risks only become an issue when your child is getting too much sleep. Let's say she went to be at 8 every night and woke up at 10. Then she'd be getting 14 hours of sleep...which is too much. It could lead to obesity and heart problems.
    Anonymous

• There is no health risk I ever heard of. DD slept weird hours with dh when she was little. He went to bed late, got up late the next day, while I got up early to go to work, so went to bed early as well. Your mom needs to move on and find something else to hassle you about. Or, she could just tell you "Good job" and take you out for coffee.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• to anon :19. i understand that. and do have to keep an eye on my daughter.. because if i didn't wake her from her nap she'd sleep for 4 hours. O__o i understand the downside/healthrisks to oversleep. =) thanks.
    Anonymous

• Whatever works is fine for you. As long as they get enough sleep it doesn't matter when they get it.
    Anonymous

• this is you child not you moms as long as the child gets 8 hours sleep at night & maybe a nap then I don't see the problem..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I know many families where I live that have later bed times for their kids and the kids are all ages. The families usually work late or later than most or the mom is sahm and likes to sleep late so the eat dinner at 8p and the kid goes to bed between 10 and 12p. The docs here say that as long as the child gets enough sleep there is no problem. You can always ask your doctor and get a note for your mom. ;)
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 10:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2010