How many times do I allow my toddler to go back to diapers?

My two year old has been potty training on and off on her own schedule since she was 9 months old. At this point, she can recognize when she has to go, she can pull down her clothes, sit herself on the toilet, relieve herself, wipe, and wash her hands...all by herself. She is even able to stay dry at night.
But after a week or two of being out of diapers, she will decide she wants to go back in diapers again (she has gone back and forth several times). Do I indulge her until she's ready to be out of diapers for good, or do i just throw all the diapers away and and say "no more diapers"?

lovemymarine306

Asked by lovemymarine306 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Personally, if she can do all that and has gone a whole week without diapers... I'd disappear the diapers and deal with a couple of wet undies... She's shown she's ready.. her body is ready her mind is ready so diapers during the day are gone.
    My kids did the back and forth a bit too but that's b/c my auntie who took care of them when I was at work would put diapers on them... so they got confused. But when I had them for a month the diapers were gone for good. without stress or force either ... just you're ready.
    Also did the buying big girl panties celebration and a song for no more diapers (during the day)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• You started her way too soon. When moms do that (too soon) the children keep going back to diapers. Wait until she's ready or she'll keep doing this.
    Anonymous

• I'd say never let her go backwards! It sends mixed messages, confuses them. Once they are out, it's no more diapers for sure!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• No, you didnt' start too soon. The only moms that say that are also on here trying to figure out how to potty train their 4 year olds. Okay, that's a generalization.

Just toss them. She can do it, and all you're doing is helping her take a step back. What would you do if she wanted you to start feeding her instead of feeding herself, or refused to put her shoes on. You'd simply remind her that she can do it, and has been doing it. This is the same thing. Potty training isn't some crazy over emotional thing. It's a learned skill that our little ones need help with!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Start potty training at 9 months and you are just setting yourself up for having problems for 2 years. Children can't potty train until they are developmentally ready. If their mom has tried too young they can have psychological setbacks. The moms that have problems with potty training are the ones that start too soon and they can be the ones with kids with constipation problems and are still trying to potty train their kid that is going to school.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I'd ditch the diapers! I wish my 2 yo could go 15 mins w/o peeing in the training pants or on the floor! But he's not ready. If you're daughter does good for a whole week, she's ready.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 11:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Agree with Gaill.
    Anonymous

• 9 months is definitely not too early to start potty training, especially when all you're doing is saying "this is a potty". and you have to remember that two decades ago it was almost unheard of for three year olds to still be in diapers...and a century ago that could be said for one year olds. please don't think i'm upset about your opinions, i just want you ladies to remember that there are a lot of other methods out there than what you're probably used to.
    and thank you...we are tossing the diapers ASAP.
    lovemymarine306

Answer by lovemymarine306 at 12:14 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• we are tossing the diapers ASAP.
    ____________________________

Good for you. She can do it momma
    Nicsone

Answer by Nicsone at 8:41 AM on Apr. 6, 2010