Bible discrepencies

You all know that I am a firm believer in the bible and believes what it says. My question is however for those who are skeptical of its verity; why is it that you cannot separate mis prints from untruth? I have seen in the bible where maybe a calculation about how many years or how many were in a tribe is in there or maybe even an age. But these are misprints that have been acknowledge by the scholars due to more indepth reading of the original texts. Even though these very minor mistakes are in there the more important promises and prophecies of the bible have remained true. In my opinion many people are majoring in the minor areas of the bible and showing minor study in the major parts of the bible. Do you agreee or disagree?

ptomom678

Asked by ptomom678 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• People either have faith or not. The text-based argument for not having faith is just people trying to get a rise out of others. Just like a text-based argument FOR having faith is really no big deal.

Faith is a personal thing. It's about a person's relationship with their deity. It has nothing to do with books. You don't have to know how to read to have faith. Ask a toddler! The first Christians couldn't all read. Literacy amongst the common people is a pretty new thing.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• What mis-prints??? This is the first I hear of this......

(Not trying to be sarcastic - just wondering.)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 11:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• agree and agree on the faith thing too as I just posted about that in your other post :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• The very definition of discrepancies is" the state or quality of being discrepant; difference; inconsistency. " which is exactly what you are saying, There are misprints, typo's, mistranslations (aka inconsistencies). These may turn one entire passage to mean something COMPLETELY different that some books have translations of today.. Such as homosexuality. We all know it wasn't a word until well past the time the bible was written. Sure there were descriptions that could have been used. But when you look at the original wording, the context, as well as the history during the times EACH of the passages you read now brings this subject up, you'll notice how it really does NOT fit completely into the context, nor does it jive with the original words used. This being a major issue NOW in America, it makes what was a minor detail into a major detail. continued below.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:36 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Then you have other issues, such as individual translations. The cause of Christianity to split into different denominations. Or even going so far as single individuals, such as the difference in interpretation from say, Shan to OP. I'm sure there are some minor discrepancies between your interpretations of the bible. But lets look at one common issue that show just how different personal interpretation can change just one story. Noah's ark. Did it truly flood the entire world? Well a number of people believe so. (not I of course, it's not really actually possible). But to flood the entire world as Noah knew it? Now that's a different issue entirely. It wouldn't have been wrong to assume that Noah, seeing only water for miles and miles, assumed it was the entire world. I"m sure he didn'tr spend his days taking measurements of the Earth's surface to determine if it was, continued.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:41 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• the entire earth. IMO it would have been highly plausible and most likely , that after being in the boat for as long as he was, and seeing no land, that he assumed it was the entire earth. There is historical evidence to support a great flood. But too many other cultures, having similar stories would engage you to believe, it couldn't possibly been the entire world, just large portions of flooding. In fact a great number of the North Hemisphere was said to be involved in a great flood.

I guess my point is, is that there are most definitely discrepancies in the bible, be they mistranslations (written, and/or personal), typo's, etc. It's being able to shuffle through them, and come up with the best plausible answers that makes the difference between someone with faith and intelligence, vs, a blind follower. (no, I'm not calling anyone here a blind follower) cont.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:46 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I'm talking about people that don't bother looking further than their own translations, like into the history of the times, the cultures, etc. etc. Knowing this, DOES in fact give you a better view of what the original texts were discussing. Even the, opinions may vary from one to the next, but at least it came from an intelligent viewpoint.

All in all, that does't mean there isn't history to be learned, and it doesn't mean the entire bible is without factual information, it just means that there are some discrepancies in the bible, or more over, at the very least, the translations, and interpretations, and therefore, opinions based on some parts of this book, must be viewed with a grain of salt. This doesn't change anyones faith, or anything of the like, that's an entirely different topic. Faith is based of your entire opinion. So your faith is always going to be right in your opinion. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:52 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• There are A LOT of discrepencies that have nothing to do with misprints. Not a single scholar in centuries have called those misprints, because it isn't a word or phrase that contradicts, but whole stories. The only choice with following the Bible is to pick and choose which parts to believe, which is fine, but Christians/Jews in general would get more respect if they would admit that.
    Anonymous

• Y'know, there actually was a War Between the States, and Atlanta DID burn...but that doesn't mean that Scarlet and Rhett were real people and that that whole story happened just as it was written word for word.

Aesop also wrote some fantastic tales which contain some Real Truths...but I do not believe that ants and grasshoppers sit and chat about the weather, nor do I believe that country mice go to visit their cousins in the city (and visa versa).

It's the same with the bible. Just stories like the ones I mentioned above.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Misprints? Where is the "misprint" in this: "Put every man his sword by his side and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion (I think this means wives), and every man his neighbor." Ex. 32: 27, Moses is commanded by god to kill all the Midianite male children and "...every woman who has known man...", as well as god's many commands to "utterly destroy" the men, women, children, and unborn of Sihon in Dt. 2:33-34, of Og in Dt.3:6, the people of Ai in Js. 8:22-25, the people of Jericho in Js. 6:21-27, etc., etc. Josh.10:40 sums it all up with the statement, "So Joshua defeated the whole land...;he left none remaining, but destroyed ALL that breathed, AS THE LORD GOD OF ISRAEL COMMANDED!" Yeah. Right. "Misprint!"
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2010