SHould she be forced to return to her parents?

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A teenage girl who converted to Christianity and ran away from home is being blocked by her Muslim parents from fighting the possibility of deportation, her attorney told a judge Monday in an ongoing custody dispute.

Rifqa Bary, 17, who fled home last year and stayed with a Florida minister whom she met on Facebook, is an illegal immigrant and does not want to be returned to her native Sri Lanka because she fears being harmed or killed by Muslim extremists.

Her attorney, Angela Lloyd, asked a judge to sign an order stating that reunification with her parents is not possible by her 18th birthday in August.

The order would allow Bary, who is in foster care, to apply for special immigration status without her parents' consent.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_runaway_convert

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think if she goes about getting herself legalized then she shouldn't be forced back home, especially with the danger she faces. Or am I not understanding the statement. LOL! It's late.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 10:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I think all illegal immigrants should go home!
    Anonymous

• No she shouldn't be forced back. Their culture requires that she be killed for becoming a Christian. Even though her parents said they wouldn't do it, the threat is real and I don't think she should have to take that chance. Just because her parents promised doesn't mean others in the community wouldn't do it.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Also, with her being a child. She was probably forced to keep her mouth shut about being an illegal immigrant. So again, if she goes about getting the proper papers then I think she should stay and better herself. That's the American Dream!
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 10:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• If we let people stay here because they're being persecuted for home schooling I think that we should let a teenage girl stay because of religious persecution. Isn't that what our country was founded for in the first place?
    Anonymous

• I am not one who believes in allowing illegal immigrants to stay in America, but this is kind of a special circumstance that I would not be against. Unfortunately, she does face probably certain death if she goes home. We all know what happens to people who go against Muslim religion in extremist nations. As long as she becomes a legal citizen, she should be allowed to stay.
    Anonymous

• Isn't this the exact reason people immigrated here in the first place? Because the Church of England was being forced upon them? I think she can stay, as long as she goes through the process of becoming an American.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 11:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• She shouldn't be sent back it is not humane for the retaliation would be probably extreme, let her become legal and stay and live her life.

Answer by older at 6:55 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I'll echo others- Isn't this the exact reason people immigrated here in the first place? Because the Church of England was being forced upon them?

But... does anyone else think it is weird that she ran away to stay with a minister she met on facebook... that just caught me as being a fishy detail. Just strange.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Sounds like she should get political asylum. He parents swear they would never hurt her and maybe they wouldn't but there are many Muslims who would not agree. If she was sent back she would be in danger because of her choices
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 6, 2010