Suggestions?

Tonight, for the first time, my son, 8 weeks old, cried for two hours straight. I knew from reading online about colic, and what could possibly be done to alleviate it. Nothing at all seemed to work. I picked him up and held him on his tummy, I swaddled him (but that didn't work because he was kicking too much), I tried nursing him, I tried everything I could think of. I left him cry for about 10 mins at a time by himself in his bassinet, and he just did not stop. I changed his diaper a few times. He's got a dr's appointment Thursday, so I will ask her what she thinks it is, but I have a couple of days to survive before that. Any other suggestions as to what I could possibly do? He did pass gas at the end of the two hours, and a lot of it. Maybe I don't burp him enough...? He never spits up, and he's gone times without burping, and been fine. I just don't know...

Zennie2005

Asked by Zennie2005 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• next time i would try to give him some gripe water right when he starts up. it always helped my babies. they like how it tastes and then usually they fart alot and then i change their diaper and they go to sleep. i swear by it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• It could be that he's having some tummy troubles. My son never cried for 2 hours straight but he did used to get in crying spells when he was little just randomly. He would scream and scream for 10 or 15 minutes and nothing would get him to stop. Then he would burp or toot and he'd be fine! I'd wait until tomorrow before you start worrying about colic. It very well could have just been a 1 time thing that may have been a culmination of events/things.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• The 5 S's
    There are 5 components to this method which, when used together, work amazingly well to calm your crying baby and in many cases help your baby go to sleep with no fuss.
    Using cross-cultural techniques combined with his own research, Dr. Karp has developed the "five S's system". Some babies will need all five, others just a few to help induce what he calls the "calming reflex."
    •Swaddling - Tight swaddling provides the continuous touching and support the fetus experienced while still in Mom's womb.
    •Side/stomach position - You place your baby, while holding her, either on her left side to assist in digestion, or on her stomach to provide reassuring support. Once your baby is happily asleep, you can safely put her in her crib, on her back.
    •Shushing Sounds - These sounds imitate the continual whooshing sound made by the blood flowing through arteries near the womb. This white noise can be in the form of
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• of a vacuum cleaner, a hair dryer, a fan and so on. The good news is that you can easily save the motors on your household appliances and get a white noise CD which can be played over and over again with no worries.

•Swinging - Newborns are used to the swinging motions that were present when they were still in Mom's womb. Every step mom took, every movement caused a swinging motion for your baby. After your baby is born, this calming motion, which was so comforting and familiar, is abruptly taken away. Your baby misses the motion and has a difficult time getting used to it not being there. "It's disorienting and unnatural," says Karp. Rocking, car rides, and other swinging movements all can help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• .

•Sucking - "Sucking has its effects deep within the nervous system," notes Karp, "and triggers the calming reflex and releases natural chemicals within the brain." This "S" can be accomplished with breast, bottle, pacifier or even a finger.
    BradenIsMySon

• Car ride?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I think you should keep patting his back after he drinks milk because at that age babies need to burb after every feeding. Sometimes it takes longer than normal but you have to get that gas out.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• My oldest used to be difficult to burp, which meant he would usually wind up with some painful gas. What worked best for him was to lay him tummy down on my lap and burp him that way. He also liked laying that way and getting his back rubbed.
    Anonymous

• What is Gripe Water? None of the 5 S's worked for him. Car ride didn't do it, either. :-( And I don't know because usually even if he doesn't burp, he is fine. Sometimes he has little burps though, and then big burps, so maybe if it doesn't come out after one burp, more comes out for another burp, because I burp him pretty often when I feed him, like every ounce or so from the bottle. No more than 3 ounces does he get away without burping though. Thanks for all the feedback, I'll hope for more.
    Zennie2005

Answer by Zennie2005 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Well my son is now 7 weeks old an when he did that he didn't stop untill he had a bm because he was a lil consto and the doc said that helping him push is out would help . Maybe all he needs is one good bm and he will feel better , you said he passed gas when he was done crying that might be it . Good luck
    waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 11:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2010