Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog ate chocolate

My dog got into my daughters chocolate bunny earlier today. We estimated that he probably ate about 2 1/2 to 3 ounces. Can someone PLEASE ease my mind and tell me that everything will be okay with him? He is a 20 lb. terrier mix.

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in Pets

Answers (12)
  • i would take him to the vet myself
    princessbeth79

    Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

  • I'd love to be able to tell you that everything will be fine but I'm just not sure. Chocolate is VERY dangerous to dogs. Their bodies just cannot handle it. HOWEVER...our collie ate half a pan of fudge when she was about 3 or 4 years old and was PERFECTLY fine. Its just a 50 50 chance. Keep a close eye and check his bowel movements to see if there is any evidence of diarrhea. Good luck!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

  • You could have called the poision control center and they would have told you how to make your dog vomit right away. Too late now.
    Gailll

    Answer by Gailll at 11:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

  • I agree with keeping an eye on him. I have always heard chocolate was bad for dogs, but none of the dogs I know who have eaten chocolate have had any problems. My sister's dog just gets really bad gas. My friend Amber's dog Mellow ate a three pound box of fudge and was perfectly fine and lived a long healthy life. So I don't think it is dangerous to all dogs. Just keep an eye on him and if he has any unusual symptoms then take him to the vet.
    SleepingBeautee

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

  • try giving lots of water at least it will keep flushing his system (or feed him more) I hope he does better GL
    Butterfly1108

    Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

  • You say earlier. Dogs usually start having the problems within an hour or so of eating chocolate if they're going to react badly. Usually it depresses their respiratory system, so if your dog isn't wheezing and having trouble breathing, he's probably okay. I think, if I remember right, it's safe for 1 oz per 10 lbs of dog before it's really worrisome.

    Then again, I had a dog that ate an entire bag of Rolos. But he was already insane and ended up having to be put down because he was a vicious and insane dog...

    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

  • Here's a link to some info about chocolate and dogs:

    http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM

    My dog ate a 1lb chocolate bunny (minus the ears) several years ago and had no ill effects at all from it. Based on what I've read it takes 1 oz of milk chocolate per pound of body weight to be toxic, so your dog would have had to eat about 20 oz of milk chocolate. It goes down for dark chocolate because there is more of the compound that is toxic to them in dark chocolate - two 1 oz squares of baker's chocolate would be toxic to your dog. Just watch for symptoms - vomiting, diarrhea, excess urination, nausea, siezures, irregular heart beat, and coma. They usually start within a few hours, but can take up to 36 hours to appear. Here's another link:

    http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-20.htm

    If you can, take him to the vet.
    canadianmom1974

    Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

  • Better late than never. You can induce vomiting in a dog with peroxide. Mix it half and half with water. It is appropriate to use if they eat chocolate, but only if you catch it within a few hours. Same rules as apply for humans. If the dog is unconscious or having severe breathing issues, you don't induce vomiting. At that point your only option is an emergency vet. Also, for other types of poisoning, call a poison control center or your vet before inducing vomiting. Depending on what they got into, inducing vomiting can cause further harm ~ also the same as for humans.

    There are a lot of dogs that eat chocolate with no adverse effects, and the type/purity does matter. Small dogs are most at risk.
    Farmlady09

    Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:20 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

  • I am a vet tech you need to take your dog in to the Vet or call them to get the right amount of Peroxide to induce vomiting. Your dog is probably ok they usually have to as much as it weighs for it to really do damage.
    ddsunshine

    Answer by ddsunshine at 1:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

  • Okay, it isn't THAT big of a deal like previous posters have said. Google it. My 30 pound dog ate 1 pound of baker's chocolate and they said she would be fine. There is a certain ounce of chocolate per pound of the dog that they can handle. Being milk chocolate it's hardly a concern. No worries. : )
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN