What would you do

If your 6 y.o. son told his brother that he loved and wanted to marry a boy at his school and when you asked him he said he liked boys likeboyfriend/girlfriend and wanted to kiss them BUT he liked girls that way too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not worry about it because the child is a 6 year old.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Oh dear. I don't know what I would say to that?! Stumped...
    Anonymous

• He's six years old. He's exploring his feelings and learning from everything he sees around him. I would inquire about what he feels and why he felt that way, but I wouldn't encourage or discourage it. I would allow my son to figure it out and if he has questions I will always answer them honestly. It's very possible your son has feelings for this other boy, but he might not understand whether they're romantic or not. Children that young don't neccisarily know the difference between friendly and romantic feelings. He could be confusing it and that's perfectly natural.

Also, it's very possible that he loves him as a friend and thinks that marriage is the next step. Allow him to believe as he feels is right, and only discourage it if it is hurting him or someone else. Otherwise, let him be happy in his belief.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I would show support only. It maybe he is just exploring things or does not fully know how to differentiate between how to threat diff sexes you like. My nephew still hugged and kissed everyone he liked because that was how he related showing affection... Like he does to you, DH, and siblings.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• well, i personally would tell him boys kiss girls, & girls kiss boys.. boys should not be kissing boys girls should not be kissing girls.. & that boys should marry girls. boys should not marry boys it is against what GOD teaches..
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't do anything. They don't understand what they are saying.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't worry about it. He's 6, I doubt he even knows what all of that means yet. Let him sort it out. If it turns out down the road that this is truly how he feels then you can worry about it then. Personally, I'd love and support my son no matter who he loves.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't do anything.

If he wanted to talk about it, I would talk about it with him. If not, I'd let it go and let him be him.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 12:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Anon I'm not a Christian so no offense but that is the last thing I'm worried about
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• He has a different concept of things like sexual attraction than you do. Love and marriage in his mind is not what ADULTS understand them to be. Worrying over this is a waste of time. It's cute actually. I wish that innocence could last longer for kids these days.

Next week he'll want to marry his teacher or aunt or cousin...it's a passing fancy.
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 2:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2010