How were pregnancy and childbirth different for you than you expected?

For me, I thought my body would be all messed up, hormones crazy, skin messed up... when pregnant. It was the opposite! I felt more gorgeous then ever in my life.

For childbirth, the hospital wasn't as bad as I was expecting (I planned a HB, but didn't get it). The staff were really kind and accommodating. The pain was bad, but now worse than I was expecting. Transition was worse, emotionally. Pushing was faster than expected. And when DS came out, all slippery and perfect, I LAUGHED instead of crying, as I had expected.

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 11:44 PM on Apr. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh, and I fricken got crazy when it came to food. I would literally get angry and cry if a fast food place (my choice was Taco Bell) got it wrong! I told taco bell I was never coming back to them ever again and they had just lost a customer. I was totally distraught that they had given me rice and cheese instead of beans and cheese! lol Talk about hormonal takeovers!!! I was the devil! lol
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 8:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I didn't expect to have a c-section...or to smile through almost the entire surgery. The only time I wasn't smiling, they were pushing his head out of my rib-cage. It hurt.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 11:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I also didn't expect to have a c-section (what is an HB by the way?). I didn't immediately reach out to hold my son, I think by that time I was just exhausted (having been in labor (induced) for 3 days, pushing for over 4 hours then having the c-section. I was just thrilled and couldn't stop kissing him.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I didn't expect to deliver in 4.5 hours with my 1st. With my 2nd, I wish someone would have told me the ligament & all over down there pain would come so early & be much worse. Ouch...all the time!
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:09 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Finally, your story sounds like mine! Labor for three days, pushed for four hours (seemed like 15 minutes though!) and then finally a c-section.

I had planned on a natural childbirth with no drugs. I was not expecting my son to be two weeks late. I was not expecting my placenta to calcify so much so that even my most crunchy mid wives were telling me to induce. I wasn't expecting to hold out for 60 hours with full dosages of pitocin for any drugs. I was really surprised that I would not progress the entire time until I finally got an epi. Then I progressed lightening fast! I wasn't expecting my son to get stuck in my pelvis with his head twisted.

For pregnancy, I was expecting crazy cravings and they never came. I didn't even know about food aversion but I had that for the first trimester. I was also not expecting PUPPPS what I nightmare that was!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I had expected to enjoy pregnancy, especially after the 1st trimester rather than being sick the entire 9 months, unable to eat anything without it coming right back up.
    As far as delivery, the pain wasn't as bad as I had anticipated.

Answer by missanc at 8:34 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I thought I was going to get HUGE and never did. I still got to fit into my regular jeans!!!!! I threw up all over the place because of the morning sickness (which I thought women faked about and wasn't as bad....boy was I WRONG!!!) lol
    I think we can read up on all the info about being pregnant all we want, but unless we are, it's a WHOLE different ball game! I ended up with a C section because my body just wouldn't dialate...and that was kind of dissapointing, but you just have to go with the flow when it comes to being pregnant, because anything can happen!!!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 8:45 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Sandypops, you made me laugh!

Finalymama40, "HB" is homebirth. Next time! :)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:12 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• alot easier than i expected...childbirth that is...and it wasn't as painful as i was expecting...i was scared to death bc the hospital didn't have epidurals yet, so all i had was meds that killed the contraction pain..but i felt everything else..the labor for four days....that wasn't fun at all!

mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:20 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I was not expecting to be in labor for 2 1/2 days. I really thought 12 hours at the most. AND, i was completely drug free (had a home birth)

I also thoguht it was not as painful as some say. I really believe that your mental status helps a lot with the pain. I think the more women freak out during child birth, the more it hurts. I was very calm the whole time. I definitely felt worse pain in my life than giving birth.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2010