Does anyone's first child want to nurse again bc their second is doing it?

Does anyone's first child want to nurse again bc their second child is doing it? If so what do you do about. I am considering just letting him nurse again. It would keep him occupied while I nurse and soothe and comfort him and I would love the bonding again. He is also not even 3 yet so many moms never stopped at that poin.

Owensmom07

Asked by Owensmom07 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm still nursing my first, my second is due in August. I know lots of moms who just let their older child try. Sometimes they've forgotten how to do it and don't ask any more. Sometimes they remember and go back to the breast. It depends on him and how long it's been since he nursed. There's no harm in it at all, breastmilk is nutritious no matter how old you are :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• He probably won't be effective at nursing if it has been awhile since he has nursed. He may want to try and then not be that interested. Tandem nursing is almost always with a child that has nursed through pregnancy. Don't count too much on the bonding again. Many moms that really like nursing and were committed enough to nurse through pregnancy find it demanding and irritating to nurse siblings.

It can be distracting to nurse a 2 year old and they can bother an infant if you try to nurse them together. The 2 year old may start demanding to nurse when the baby isn't nursing and you may feel like you are nursing all the time. It may be like nursing twins that won't nurse together.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• 100 percent normal. Let him try if you want.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:09 AM on Apr. 6, 2010