my baby boy (3) has surgery on friday!!

He went to the doc today for a normal checkup for his ear tubes, he has fluid in the one ear that the tube fell out, and the other looks like it's about to come out. the doc said that since he still has fluid in his ear, then they'll give him a new tube and just replace the other one for now. they also said they're gonna take his adenoids out, so he's going for like, real surgery! putting him to sleep with the tube in his mouth and everything! yeah i consented and was all for it (and still am) but mommy instincts are kicking in and i started worrying about my baby. anyone had this procedure done? your kids? any advice/tips?

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Health

• I had my adenoids and tonsils taken out as a kid, no big deal. It will probably be harder on you than it is on him. I wish you both the best of luck!
    lilac83

Answer by lilac83 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My son has had heart surgery, eye surgery, ear tubes and a tonsillectomy. He has DS. The recovery for my son for having his tonsils and adenoids taken out was about two weeks. He did so well with drinking the slushies they offered him that he got to go home sooner than we thought he would. He was also trying to take his IV's out, so it was important he was able to drink the fluids. I think it helped that he was thirsty. It's important to have soft foods the first couple weeks and for him to drink lots of fluids. His throat will be very raw. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Apr. 6, 2010