when to introduce solids?

My dd is just about to turn 4 months old. My dh is overly excited to feed her solids but I'm not sure when. Any thoughts?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 12:13 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Health experts and breastfeeding experts agree that it's best to wait until your baby is around six months old before offering solid foods. The American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Organization, and many other health organizations recommend that babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or other foods) for the first 6 months of life. Some doctors may recommend delaying solids for the first year if there is a family history of allergies. I'm not going into the many health benefits of delaying solids here; see Why Delay Solids? for more information.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:19 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• you can start slowly at 4 months but dr recommands about 6. I started mine at 5 months though.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Developmental signs that baby is ready for solids
    Solids readiness depends on both the maturity of baby’s digestive tract and baby’s developmental readiness for solids. Although the maturity of baby’s digestive system is not something that we can readily observe, research indicates that 6 months appears to be ideal for avoiding the allergies and other health risks of too-early solids. After this point, different babies are ready for solids at different times -- developmental readiness for solids cannot be determined using a calendar. Most babies are developmentally ready for solids somewhere between 6 and 8 months.
    BradenIsMySon

• Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:•Baby can sit up well without support.
    •Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    •Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    •Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    •Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:20 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• We often state that a sign of solids readiness is when baby exhibits a long-term increased demand to nurse (sometime around 6 months or later) that is unrelated to illness, teething pain, a change in routine or a growth spurt. However, it can be hard to judge whether baby’s increased nursing is related to readiness for solids. Many (if not most) 6-month-old babies are teething, growth spurting and experiencing many developmental changes that can lead to increased nursing – sometimes all at once! Make sure you look at all the signs of solids readiness as a whole, because increased nursing alone is not likely to be an accurate guide to baby’s readiness.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Around 4 months is ok with formula fed babies, 6 months is recommended for breastfed babies. There is never any need for baby cereal, jar food, puffs, ect. When babies are ready for solids they can feed themselves fork mashed foods.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:22 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• i started my little girl at 4 months, but she did that tongue thrust thing a lot so i waited a couple of weeks and tried again, she's almost 5 months and is liking it a lot more now, read your babies cues.
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 8:13 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• when my dd was a baby, the recommended age was to start cereal at 4-5 months. now my doctor is telling me with DS that based on new research, they recommend waiting until at least 6 months before giving any solids because their digestive system is still not fully developed until that age and giving them solids before that can actually impede their overall development. also they now say that there is no need to hold off on introducing meat products until baby is 9 months old (as was previously recommended) because babies iron stores start to "run out" around 6 months so they need iron supplementation from meat (or iron-fortified formulas). and while it isn't necessary to start with cereals, it is a good choice for a first food because the consistency can be modified very easily to help baby adapt to eating solids.
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• It is best to wait until at least 6 months old. Tell DH that research shows LOTS of benefits for waiting until 6 months to start solids. Meanwhile there are NO benefits to starting early. You can show him the research/info at Why delay solids?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• You are going to get lots of opinions about waiting to start. Our pediatrician had us start feeding solids at 4 months. Some say 6 months is better. Both of mine were on pureed foods by 4 and 5 months. Not a lot of food in one day as formula or breastmilk still needs to be the main source of nourishment for the first year. They are fine and so are all the children of our family and friends who started on solids by 6 months. I honestly can't imagine keeping a baby on a liquid diet for a solid year. As our doctor put it, it's fine to do that but keep in mind since liquid doesn't fill up a growing baby for long, you'll get to feed the formula or breastmilk more often. All the organizations you always hear about don't really convince me of very much. They change their mind way too much to be reliable as far as I'm concerned but I think it's totally up to you as to how, what and when to feed your baby.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2010