How to teach 13 month old to play alone???

My husband works from home and I went back to work when our son was born. My husband was watching Max like a hawk,never leaving his sight. When I was coming home I always playing with him. Now he is 13 month and so use to us being with him all the time. We cant go anywhere without him following us. I know its not such a big problem but I want to show him that is O.K to play by himself when we not there??Please help.

MomOfMax359

Asked by MomOfMax359 at 12:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Go very slow and do 5 minute alone time, come back and praise him for doing so good alone even if he cryed, do this every day maybe twice a day next week do 10 minutes slowly work your way up to him playing alone for half hour or however long you need alone time...
    I got special puzzles for my kido to do on his own when i needed a few to go to the bathroom or load the dishwasher or something...it helps having that special something to keep them distracted
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 12:32 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I don't think he's like that because you played with him all the time. He's like that because he's a little toddler. : )
    but all you can do is keep giving him the opportunity to play by himself.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• When I leave him with toys to play and slowly snicking out,he playing until he sees that I am not there and run to me. I wish I can leave him for 5 min,he cant even be along for 1. I even put a gate on his door (with open door) and as soon as I disappear his sight he starts to cry.
    MomOfMax359

Answer by MomOfMax359 at 12:43 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Let him cry, they have to learn some how...my son cryed too when we first started, just do it slowly 5 minutes a day for a week then 10 minutes the next week....but after the 5 minutes go in the room with him praise him for being alone and play with him reassuring him you will be back.....hang tough mama it will and it does get easier with time, after a bout a week my son knew I would be back and we would get to snuggle and sing but he had to be alone first so mommy could get her stuff done real fast
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 12:49 AM on Apr. 6, 2010