Any fellow wives of oil rig workers on here???

DH starts on Monday. It is a wonderful opportunity for us as I will get to be a SAHM and our financial situation will be much better.
I still dont know what to expect. How dangerous is it really? Where is your DH's oil rig? How is the time alone?
Just need a little support heading into the unknown. Thanks ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• I hope that your spouse has good live insurance and LTD
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:38 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Hiya.

My husband works on a rig and has done for about 5 years. He works 2 weeks on/ 2 weeks off. I love it when he is home but to be honest it's quite nice when he goes back to work too because we have a nice little routine when he's at work. We have 3 kids so routine is a bit of a must when I'm here with them on my own. It helps to have family close too. I found it hard to sleep properly when he first went away but after the first hitch It was fine. I do find it a bit lonely at night times though once all the kids have gone to bed.

I really don't think it's too dangerous. There are very strict safety procedures and most companies pride themselves on how safe their rigs are. I try not to worry about him when he's away. I know he's sensible and would never do anything silly to put himself or others in danger.

The income is fantastic and it means I can be a SAHM to our kids which is really important to us.
    Anonymous

• I dont know how this site works yet, I just signed up! But if you get my response, yes, my husband is ex navy and now an oil rig worker. I wonder how is it going for you? Have you adapted yet? My hubby started in ten months ago a a civilian and I still find being an oil rig workers wife harder than being a military wife--not only is my husband gone 3/4 of the time now, but now I lack all the support and networking we had with the military families. I hope that unlike me you have family close, that would help ALOT! If you ever wanted to talk PLEASE dont hesitate to keep in touch with me. I know your challenges, they are unlike most stay at home moms challenges, and yet they also share but also differ from the single moms challenges. We do it all ourselves, like single moms, but we dont have to work outside the home like they do. Arg! So I hope this finds you doing well and drop me a line if you like!
    wingmom

Answer by wingmom at 2:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2010