my 17th month old doesnt want to sleep lol help

my 17th month old will only take a 1 hour nap a day and is starting to not go to sleep at night :( what can i do to get her to understand to take a longer nap and sleep better at night? i try to get her to be between 7:30-8ish and she gets up reallyy early but also gets up alot at night

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• An hour nap at this age is normal so you shouldn't expect more than that. As for getting her to bed a good calming bedtime routine helps. Bath, Book, Bed is what I do and it works like a charm on my 20 month old. When you say she gets up do you mean she gets out of her bed or just wakes up? If she gets out you should put her back to bed and if she just wakes up theres no reason for you to go in...just let her fall back asleep.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• she just wakes up crying for her "cuppy" :( i always feel so bad how can i take it from her so she will stop askin for it at night?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I don't think a sippy at night is a good habit to begin or let continue. If its juice it will be bad on her teeth. If its anything including water you will have problems with peeing when you start potty training. Right now my dd can hold her sippy cup during storytime if she likes but once we start potty training I will probably say no more drinks after a certain time. Yes they will cry and whine because they don't fully understand why they can't have what they want. But you are the mama and you know what is best for your child. Its important to always go with what is best and not just what your child desires.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:34 AM on Apr. 6, 2010