Help please =O) I just had my first baby, he's 2 weeks old. He doesnt seem to like laying directly on his back. I hate to say it but I havent been able to get him to sleep in his bassinett...just in my arms. He doesnt like his bouncer or his swing. How can I get him to transition to get used to sleeping by himself? I try swaddling him and he gets so mad he doesnt have his arms out. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's a perfectly normal 2 week old. He's been curled up in your tummy for 9 months... now you want to lay him on his back all alone?! Huge shock for them!

Co-sleep... it's safest for you to get the rest you need in order to properly care for your child, so sleep with him. Both my boys like sleeping curled up on their sides next to me as newborns.

He'll have plenty of time for sleeping by himself when he's a teenager... do what you have to do now to get you both the rest you need.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:20 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• hold him. He needs you. :) Trust me, someday you will wish these moments back.
    He is used to being snuggled up against you and thats OK. Get a front carrier and you can still get things done. My son is a toddler now and although people told me I would spoil him rotten, I am SO SO SO glad I spent as much time cuddling him as I did. He now sleeps on his own with no problems and is a very independent boy at 21 months.
    I already wish he would still fit in my arms the way your baby boy fits perfectly in yours right now. Thats why they match up so perfectly, you are meant to hold him....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Yep, sounds like a normal newborn. I promise it gets easier! I slept on the couch with mine for the first few months because they wouldn't sleep if away from me. He'll give you some clues when he's ready to sleep outside of your arms. You said he doesn't like the swing or bouncer? Try taking one in the bathroom with you while you shower. The water might calm him while tricking him into getting used to the bouncer. hehe As long as all of his needs have been met then it's ok to let him cry for 5 minutes while you take a shower, but it will break your heart. And, it's ok if swaddling doesn't work for him. Neither one of my kids would do it either.
    Saphie

Answer by Saphie at 1:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Co-sleeping has caused too many babies to be suffocated ....Please do not go with this route. You need to persist, even at this age your baby knows a little cry will have him in your arms. He can't be sleeping in your arms later, he will get heavier...Just persist with rocking the bassinett, a darkened room, a mobile or something on the bassinett....He will fall asleep and it will be easier for you in the long run.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Your baby needs your touch, he is only 2 weeks and this world is a scary place. Rock him to sleep, it is one of my fondest memories of my kids, he needs your comfort and warmth of your body. Wrap him up tightly like they did at the hospitsl with his blsnket, it makes them feels secure. Everything will pass but for now enjoy these first few months, all will fall into place, and one day before you know it you wish he could be 2 weeks old again!

Answer by older at 6:51 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Your baby needs you and that's perfectly normal. Hold and cuddle him whenever you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Hold that baby! Your baby is telling you what he needs just as surely as if he were talking to you. This is a very important bonding time, and not just for mother and child. Bonding will help your child his entire life. I spent hours snoozing in the rocker recliner with my boys when they were small. As pp have said, you will never have this time back, make the most of all ofi it!

Congratulations!!!!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:02 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Some babies don't like to be swaddled, yours may be one of those. I started laying my babies in the pack n play bassinet in the living room for their naps when they were newborns - the liked still hearing the noises they were used to, even when I was afraid their siblings might wake them. Sometimes they wouldn't sleep long, but the more time they spent there, the more they got used to it so every time they fell asleep - into either the pack n play or their crib they went. I wanted to get them used to sleeping without me, not sleeping in my arms.
    They are newborns for such a short period of time, and they do need a lot of holding, cuddling, etc. but you need some time to yourself also!

Answer by missanc at 8:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• co-sleeping is not bad for babies. However if you are a heavy sleeper be watchful. What you should know though that a child at any age will be upset if you change things. He likes it in your arms because he feels safe. But you have to let him know that it is ok. Over time give him more and more time. It will not hurt your child to cry. I would let him lay with your hand on him some or by him so he feels you. It will be ok. The first day for a minute and the next 2 minutes. Just know that you are doing fine so far and it will all be ok!!
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 8:50 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I agree with most of the other responses - just hold him and snuggle him for now! A sling will help you to be able to get things done and still keep your baby close. I love my Moby wrap!

While we were still in the hospital, Carter had to be on a bili bed and couldn't be held most of the time, so the nurses rolled up a receiving blanket and wrapped it around him (it started on one side, went under his legs around his bottom, and up the other side)...it helped a little bit!

Carter wasn't a fan of sleeping on his back for those first few weeks either, so we put him on the changing table part of the pack 'n' play - there's a bit of a dip there so we were able to turn him just enough so he wasn't flat on his back.

At this age, he's not capable of manipulating you - comfort is one of a baby's most basic needs and if you show him that you're there for him now, he'll start becoming more independent as he grows.

Good luck!
    PrincessZ20

Answer by PrincessZ20 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 6, 2010