how do you feel about preschool? can't i teach my son the same things they do, and not have to pay the ridiculous money?

for the past few months i thought i wanted my son to go to preschool, basically so he gets comfortable in a classroom type setting, and playing with other kids. but i kind of realized that i could be teaching my son the same things they teach, without paying all that money. but one thing that worries me is that i didn't go to preschool, and i cried EVERY year on the first day of school until MIDDLE SCHOOL!, yet my brother who went to preschool, practically ran onto the bus without saying goodbye. what do you guys think???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I dont care for public school period thats why my children will be homeschooled but yes you can provide the exact same things that a preschool does for your child. Plus your child gets the one on one attention which is wonderful.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:36 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My son never went to preschool, because we didn't have the money:( His first day of kindergarten went really well, which surprised me because he is a very shy little guy. Now he is 9 years old, loves school and is also in some enrichment classes. Many are going ot disagree with me, but I feel preschool is unnecessary. Teach you child the basics and take him to the park to socialize.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I did not go to preschool but the summer before kindergarden I went to a very good daycare for half days. When my dad dropped me off for my first day of school I was totally confident and content to be there. And because the daycare was next to the elementary school I already knew some of the kids.
    I do think you can teach your kids instead of sending them to preschool. Getting them involved in other social activities is good too since preschool isn't just about books but about interaction with other children. I think you can give your child all that preschools have to offer IF you are truly motivated to do so.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• "..... so he gets comfortable in a classroom type setting, and playing with other kids...." You can't teach this.... it's something they have to go out and do with other kids!! Yes you can teach the stuff, but you can't do the socialization part. My daughter was very shy, went to preschool and kinda got over that!! Now she is in Kindergarten, tells me she likes meeting new kids and actually gets ticked that the weekend comes and she can't go to school.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• all my boy knows he learned from me.3 months from turning 3 he was reading, i don't want him in preschool he gets enough time with other kids and you cant beat one on one.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:52 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• my two oldest went to preschool my youngest didnt, all three did wonderful their first day of school. However I didnt do as well lol I cried when I dropped them off LOL. Yes you can teach the same things but you cant give them the experience of a classroom setting, most kids adjust just fine without ever having gone to preschool. Your child would benefit from the social interaction if that is not something you are able to provide through playdates. I would take a good look at your finances and also take a good look at what experiences your child is having now socially and learning at home then decide if its something you want to try or if you feel you can provide it at home.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My first kid went to preschool but that's only because medical conditions kept her in the hospital for 2 years. My next kid will be starting kindergarten this year and I think she'll be more then fine.
    faile

Answer by faile at 2:00 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• 12:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 by: Anonymous "..... so he gets comfortable in a classroom type setting, and playing with other kids...." You can't teach this.... it's something they have to go out and do with other kids!! Yes you can teach the stuff, but you can't do the socialization part.

Sorry thats not true she can teach this. I'm a SAHM and my dd gets plenty of social interaction through my meetup.com playgroup (2-3 dates a week) and 3-5 days a week of time at my gym daycare. If a mom puts in work to set up their schedule similar to a preschool with activities, interaction and education she doesn't have to send her child to preschool. Especially when money is an issue.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:51 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Check out some of the services in your area. Where I live there is a no-fee (but you can donate) 'mommy/daddy/grandparent and me' preschool called "Learning Links. It's offered through the school district. You have to be in the class with your kid(s) but there is a pre-school teacher plus an aid, also a nurse and a speech pathologist come one a week.

It has free play then structured activities like story time or song time.
    Martina70

Answer by Martina70 at 2:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My daughter is now in 1st grade and she didn't go to preschool. I taught her more than she would have learned at preschool. When I took her in for kindergarten evaluations the teachers asked her which preschool she went to (it's a small town and there is only head start and one other). She told them she did preschool at home and the teachers looked at each other and rolled their eyes like it was some horrible thing. Then they went ahead and did the evaluation and they were surprised that she did so well and was already beyond what they were going to learn in kindergarten. She gets along great with the other kids and the teachers and she has a lot of friends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Apr. 6, 2010