Allergy Treatments under age 2?

My 18m old son has horrible seasonal allergies/asthma symptoms. We have been trying 1/2 tsp Zyrtec at night, and he uses Flovent (with mask & chamber). Major congestion and-or running nose. He has tubes, but still continues to get ear infections.
His allergist wanted to see how he'd do with the Zyrtec (works, but not well enough) and suggested our next step by Nasonex. His ENT has thought about putting him in Singulair.
Anyone have a child younger than 2 on these medications? Success? Side Effects?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• We haven't yet started but my g was prescribed Nasonex. It's supposed to help with his runny nose and constant sinus infections.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 12:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Not my g, dunno what that was about, my son
    chelleybeans

• My son has been on Singular since he was under 2 but his was not for allergies, it was to help his asthma. The crappy part is that a side effect of Singular is ear infections! My son is 5 1/2 and got his 5th set of ear tubes yesterday (he has had them since he was 12 1/2 months) However, there is a difference between fluid on the ear's which is caused by allergies (what I am assuming your son has) and actual ear infections
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Thanks ladies - he is getting his adenoids removed, and has been prescribed nasonex in addition to the Zyrtec. He didn't get mad when I used it this evening - knock on wood!!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I wonder why he isn't on singulair yet? It will block allergy reactions and prevent asthma attacks. We use singulair and pulmicort (nebi delivered) year round with zyrtec all allergy season. works like a charm with all steps in place. Skip any of them (like when he asleep in the car and I just carried him into bed without getting his nightly meds) we have problems. So no matter what, all steps happen EVERY day.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:37 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Oh - and Max had his adenoids out this past february and that has made a HUGE difference. I didn't realize how swollen he was under his eyes until they were gone. Then it was like "OMG, he has the biggest most beautiful eyes ever!!!" LOL!
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:39 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Jaydin had his adenoids out when he was 23 months and it made no difference
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:51 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Not sure. Can you ask the dr about side effects?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:34 AM on Sep. 15, 2010