When's the right time for potty training?

My daughter is 8 months old, but when she goes to the restroom she makes noise.... I was wondering if I should stick her on a training toilet every time she does so she'll start learning, or if this age is still too young?

How did you know when to potty train & what age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO NO NO, she's too young. Between ages 2 and 3 is the best time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I think it's best to wait until they are able to do it mostly by themselves, meaning pulling down/up their pants, getting to the toilet (I'm assuming she isn't walking yet?), etc. I trained my daughter right at 2, my son at just over 3 - just when they were ready.

Answer by missanc at 8:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I sat my oldest on the potty the first time she was 10 months old not exspecting her to do anything and she peed lol. I started potty training her at 12 months but her birthday is in April so it was getting warm so I backed off until she was 18 months and after that only took one month to train her she was potty trained during the day at 19 months she still sometimes pees the bed at night almost 5, but I think it is if she has to much to drink during the day. My youngest I started at 13 months because she kept waking up from nap and in the morning dry. She was almost fully potty trained at 15 months, but then cought Rotavirus so I had to stop because she had that for 3 weeks. So I didn't start doing it again until she was about 18 or 19 months and she was fully potty trained by 21 months. I honestly don't think any child is to young to potty train. I believe that if you have the pationts(however that is spelled lol) CON
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:45 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• and if you are consitant with it I believe a child can be potty trained at any age. I just didn't use pullups or diapers at all only undies while training
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• oh I also think it is easier the younger they are honetly
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• When they start to show an interest in doing it themselves.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I started sitting My son on the potty at 10 months (he loved it). He is almost 2.5 and trained. I recommed "Diaper Free Before Three". Our local library carries it.
    WyattsMomma7

Answer by WyattsMomma7 at 9:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Look up elimination communication. I read about it when my son was younger, but didn't truly implement it, besides giving my son some time on the potty when I knew he was likely to go or was naked anyway and talking to him about "This is the potty, this is where you will pee pee when you are ready!" I didn't MAKE him sit there, if he wanted to get up he did, I was very positive, and I didn't try to get him out of diapers before he could walk or anything like people probably think if you say you put your 8-month-old on the potty. Basically I think I just got him used to sitting on the potty and the idea of what it was for (and actually using it several times) way before he'd ever be expected to be potty trained, and it made it a lot easier IMO just to have him used to the idea. He is 2.5 now and out of diapers completely...he was out of diapers in the daytime shortly after his 2nd birthday.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 9:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I wanted to add that at 10 months I was not training My child, merely introducing him to the potty.
    WyattsMomma7

Answer by WyattsMomma7 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I wish I would a have started EARLY...Im not into forcing my daughter if she isnt ready.She is 3 and DOES not give a hoot.It was my mistake for not getting a potty seat sooner and letting her sit on it everyday when she started walking.it would have been easier.BUT we also moved 4 times in her 1st 2 years of life and her dad also deployed.She has been a struggle with the seat.Next week we are going to be putting her but in Kushies. i will start my 1year old at the same time lol..she rather sit on it them my 3 year old lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:41 AM on Apr. 6, 2010