how much a day?

how many times a day do you give baby solids? my 6 month old will start soon but i was wondering if its breakfast, lunch and dinner or just once or what?
thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I first started I only gave it to them once/day and then as they got used to that I added a meal, and then a 3rd "meal" of solids. After a month or so they were eating 3 solid meals when we did, each followed by nursing, plus 3 additional nursing sessions.

Answer by missanc at 8:37 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• It's a good idea to start slow- a little bit once a day after milk/formula, then monitor for allergies for a few days, then another food, etc. Gradually increase how much you offer and how many times a day. Milk/formula needs to be the primary source of nutrition until 12 months.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I started with dinner, then I added a "brunch" now she gets three solid meals a day.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:52 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• when I first started my girls on solids it was once a day, but I started them earlier than 6 months. Then I went to more often. I gave them cereal in the morning followed by a 6 or 8 oz bottle however much they were taking at the time. Then I would feed them lunch followed by a bottle then dinner followed by a bottle then I would give them cereal for bed in there bottle. Now I have a friend that gave her son 2 jars of cereal jars in the morning followed by his 9 oz bottle then she gave lunch 2 jars of baby food followed by his 9 oz bottle. Then she would give him a 9oz bottle before his morning and before his afternoon nap. Then she would give him a snack which was 2 jars of baby food followed by his 9 oz bottle. Then she would give him his lunch which was again 2 jars of baby food followed by a 9 oz bottle then she would put him to bed at night she would give him a 9 oz bottle with cereal in the bottle. CON
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I know a lot right? LOL she did this from 4 months until 12 months the cereal in the bottle she done from 2 months until 12 months he is a big boy too. He is almost 14 months old and he is bigger than my almost 2.5 year old.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• DD is 10m/o and gets 2 "meals" at day care M-F. Dinner at home is whatever we're eating for dinner. At 6m/o, she was only getting 1 jar a day and no snacks. We didn't give her rice cereal because it's so constipating and has no nutritional value. For the first year of life, baby food is just for practice, not nutrition. Nursing or bottles come first.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 9:06 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I started with breakfast, and a snack and about 7 months we were eating, small portions 4 times a day!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:41 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• You should ask your pediatrician.
    Generally, you add one meal at time, one new food at a time, and it should be one week at a time.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 11:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I started small. We did vegetables first and only one at a time for four days before introducing new vegetables. I gave the smallest container at lunch so only once a day at first. You might want to ask your pediatirician just to be sure. He/she might have different ideas.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Breastmilk should remain the main source of nutrition for the for the first 12 months. LLL recommends nursing before a meal, not after. If the baby is formula fed nutritious foods can start replacing formula so by 12 months the baby can be weaned from formula and need none at all.

One of the signs of readiness is that the baby can feed itself. You can put fork mashed food in front of the baby twice a day at first and work up to 3-4 times a day.

www.kellymom.com has great info on breastfeeding and starting solids.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2010