Free weights or machines?

I currently workout several days a week. I do cardio & weight machines. I do not like going over to the free weight area because of all the men there. What is difference in the two? Would I be better off doing the free weights?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Honestly as long as you use the proper form, and weight, the machines will give you results just like free weights. Also, using your own bodyweight can be very beneficial...I use my bodyweight for things like working my triceps and abs and lower body. But try to just get in the zone and tune out the gym traffic...ignore the men, dont let them stop you from expanding your workout routine. ;-)
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 2:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• There are benefits to each practice.

Free weights tend to engage the entire body more than just the targeted muscle group (like weight machines do); I find that if I use free weights, my core is more strengthened than if I used weight machines alone.

However, one great thing about weight machines is that it controls your position and range of motion. So many people get injured from using free weights incorrectly, because they aren't aware of their body position or what their range of motion SHOULD be.

My advice is to keep using weight machines, but maybe supplement your workout with a few core exercises. =)
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 6:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2010