What else can I do for my dd?

She is in the 1st grade and slowly catching on but this last report card said she is a good student but she still needs to work on math (addition, subtraction, counting money and some of sounds in words and maybe some spelling oh and her reading has improved) I am not sure how to take this it's like I'm ok so is she slowly passing or what...Can someone please tell me what else to do other than what I am doing already...maybe she is just a slow learner she seems to be a bright girl...Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My oldest DD is the same way. shes in 3rd grade now. I had her tested through the school and she goes out of regular classes twice a week for extra help. It has improved her self esteem which makes her classwork a lot better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Can she attend summer school or are you able to get her a tutor to work with her on the areas that she is having troubles with?My son had some issues in 1st grade as well, unfortunately he was too far behind from the other children with reading that he had to repeat the 1st grade. It was such a hard decision to make. He was so upset about it and cried.He really wanted to move on with his friends.But in the long run, the extra year in 1st really helped him out. If I had let him go on, he would have just steadily gotten behind. It took him the entire extra 1st grade year to be caught up with the reading skills that the regular 1st grade students already had.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:22 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• If you have the money, Huntington Learning Centers is quite good. It is rather expensive though. My mother works there and tells me that they really make a difference in the kids they work with.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:23 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• my oldest is like that.

we just went and found all the fun activity learning workbooks we could. she does a page in each every night.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• there is a program called Math-U-See, many homeschoolers use it and it's a wonderful program. For spelling I recommend using Spelling Workout A...it's a series, you can find it on amazon.com
    Anonymous