I don't know what to do?

Our Daughter will be turning 2 in June, she has been on Alimentum since she was 2months old. We have been trying to change her over to Whole Milk and it isn't working very well. I've tried slowly changing her over with like half Alimentum & half Whole Milk. She gets diarrhea everytime. Has anybody else had this problem?? I know her tummy is sensitive, I think I will just have to take her back to the Doctor and see what he recommends.

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 10:08 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• -Also, we have tried 2% to see if that would help and it didn't. We done half 2% & half Alimentum. I gave her a milk shake last week and she was playing, I looked and she had spit up on her mouth and it was soured from the milk shake. She can eat cheese just fine!
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 10:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• maybe try soy...my oldest dd couldn't and still can't drink whole milk. we use almond or soy milk @ home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• instead of doing half and half, do it slower. like, lets say she gets 8oz at a time... do 7 oz alimentum, 1 oz milk. do it for a few days or whatever, then decrease to 6oz and 2 oz.... repeat :) i've never dealt with it tho. but good luck!
    lilianasmom1116

Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Try lactaid, that what my son was on until he was about 4 years old. He was lactose intolerant.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:20 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• It could still be lactose intolerance. Different dairy products have different amounts of lactose. Milk and ice cream are the biggest and then soft cheeses, harder cheeses have less. So some people can tolerate cheese but not milk. That is what makes it so hard to pin point sometimes.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:27 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I agree, soy or almond milk. She doesn't "NEED" milk as long as she gets veggies, yogurt and cheese. But, if you insist, just do soy or almond, they are healthy and mosre easily tolerated.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• We used lactaid, or any other "ultra-pasteurized" milk. We now use ultra-pasteurized organic. We also use almond milk. Soy is fine occasionally, but I wouldn't her have it everyday. At almost 2, she can drink water as well.

Our boys were on Nutramigen, which is the Enfamil equivalent to Alimentum, and that is what worked for us. We did 1/4 Lactaid whole milk, with 3/4 Nutramigen, then we went to 1/2 and 1/2 and then 3/4 milk, 1/4 formula, and then all milk. It took about 10 days, and they did great.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:12 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My son can only have Soy but we rarely give him glasses of milk, try making fruit/veggie smoothies for calcium, they also make soy yogurt. my son has had major tummy issues since birth.. they also have rice dream with is rice milk- that works for some kids with intolerance. my son can't have cheese unless its soy either or he gets some major tummy things - I think the biggest pc of advice I was ever given and read in to was they DO NOT NEED milk!! so I would suggest stop buying that expensive formula and introduce calcium in other forms!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2010